View Full Version : MA-300 vs. Beachtek DXA-4P

Alan Tran
September 26th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Which one is better?
I've heard that the MA-300 is pretty flimsy and feels like it will snap.
I'm in the market for an XLR adaptor and I've narrowed it down to these two.

Thanks!

John DeLuca
October 2nd, 2003, 11:27 PM
I have the DXA-2 and love it. Duel phantom power, and strong housing. However I have to knock beachtek due to the fact the DXA-2 has cheesy, cheap looking grounding/mic/line switches. The DXA-4P has more robust mic/line switches. The SVU-2 meter goes good with it too. In my opinion, go with beachtek.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Alan Tran
October 3rd, 2003, 02:07 AM
what mic are you using with your dxa 2

John DeLuca
October 4th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Acually I use two Senn 500 evolution kits(camera mountable kit). I mic the groom and the minister for perfect audio. I hardly use the senn me-66 anymore.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Alan Tran
October 4th, 2003, 10:14 PM
wound you mind emailing me a pic of your setup

Curt Kay
October 4th, 2003, 11:46 PM
me too please.

gl2boy@curtkay.com

Alan Tran
October 5th, 2003, 08:32 AM
bkatran@cox.net

thanks

John DeLuca
October 5th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Give me a day or so to take some detailed, multi angle shots. I could have them to you tonight if I can get this editing done!! BTW- I'll try to get some video of it in action too, you can hear every detail, like the kiss, and wispers crystal clear.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Alan Tran
October 5th, 2003, 10:44 AM
thanks
that would be awesome

John DeLuca
October 5th, 2003, 03:48 PM
I sent both of you six pics of the rig. They where taken with a second GL2 digital camera( I knew id find some use for it!). Im still working on the clips, but im swamped with hours of editing and a deadline. Ill send it as soon as I can. The pics show the mounts and different view angles of the rig........enjoy!

BTW- If you have anymore questions about it, or want more specific pics, feel free to ask.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Bob Benkosky
October 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Are there any other wireless setups that are good but not nearly as much money as that one?

Corey Sturmer
October 10th, 2003, 08:29 PM
I use the XLR Studio BP Pro, works great...Don't know why you'd need much more....

John DeLuca
October 11th, 2003, 02:16 PM
I agree with Corey, the bp pro is a great choice aswell. Robust housing, and switches.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Glenn Miller
October 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM
i have two Rode NT1-a's that I need to use for two-channel inputs into a GL2 (recording live music, into stereo format). I just learned from the Community that the MA-300 I was about to buy did NOT supply phantom power to those mics!

So, i followed this thread and looked up both the DXA-4P and the Studio BP Pro, but it said both devices were 'passive', requiring no power.

So, DO these provide 'phantom power' (Phantom P48, P24 required) to both of the external XLR mics, and if so, where does that 'power' come from?

thanks for helping, glenn

John DeLuca
October 14th, 2003, 12:07 AM
The DXA-2 has duel phantom power that comes from a nine volt battery.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Glenn Miller
October 14th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Thanks, but the DX-2 thingie only had ONE XLR input (my Rodes are each the same XLR-type connector).

I found out that the DX-4P required external phantom power, so that wouldnt work, and the XLR-BP Pro website said it was passive and worked for 'externally phantom powered' mics.

So, i found the DXA-6 which is two XLRs, plus two phantom powered channels.

thanks anyway,
glenn