View Full Version : price reduction?

Bobby Abernathy
September 30th, 2003, 10:48 AM
This being the end of the time to qualify for the rebate, does anyone think we might see a further price break on the GL2? I was hoping to have my funds together by now to go buy two cameras, but it now looks I'm going to need to wait another month or two.

Did I miss out? Will the normal price of the GL2 soon become what it was after the rebate (fingers crossed)?

Ken Tanaka
September 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I don't anyone really knows, except for Canon's marketing group.

Brian Elmore
October 1st, 2003, 05:03 PM
I was just over at the canon site and noticed the rebate seems to be extended. The new coupon is from October 1, 2003 to December 31, 2003.

http://www.canondv.com/promotions/index.html

Bobby Abernathy
October 1st, 2003, 05:09 PM
Sweet. Good eye. Thanks.

Aaron Koolen
October 1st, 2003, 05:44 PM
That's weird. I thought Canon normally do that when a new item is in the horizon, and I thought they would have done it on the Xl1 series, indicating that a replacment for that is on the way.

Maybe they're trying to fool us ;)

Aaron

Brad Carrier
October 1st, 2003, 07:34 PM
Oh - so I rushed out and bought one before the end of September just to see them extend the deadline? :)

Don Palomaki
October 2nd, 2003, 04:25 AM
Not to worry, you now have it so you can use it - that is a benefit.

Pricing depends in large part on what the rest of the competition is doing. The rebate is a way to offer a lower price without having to manage/adjust pricing at the wholesale and jobber levels and deal with product in the supply chain. And I believe that manufactureres have found that a surprisingly high percentage of rebates are never sent in - which means money in thir pockets.

Aaron Koolen
October 2nd, 2003, 02:01 PM
Don I'm sure you're right. I remember sometime ago here in New Zealand, I think with some software, there was a $50 rebate. Thing is, the software cost $50 to buy. So you'd effectively get it for free - The company still did it as they know they'd sell a shitload of them and most wouldn't apply for the rebate.

Aaron

Ken Tanaka
October 2nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
To make matters even more interesting, a substantial portion of those who actually receive rebates never cash the checks if the rebate is for less than $50.

J. Clayton Stansberry
October 2nd, 2003, 02:37 PM
When this was all happening with the XL1, right before they released the XL1s, did they offer a rebate on the XL1 or did they drop the price?

Rob Easler
October 2nd, 2003, 03:02 PM
You will notice on the cannon site there is currently a rebate on just about every camcorder they sell so it may not have to do as much with a new moel as it does marketing to increase sales.

Aaron Koolen
October 2nd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Rob, lets hope, cause I'm very close to buying a DVX100 and will cry like a baby if the XL2 comes out in a couple of months ;)

Aaron