View Full Version : uv filter for GL2?

Vladimir Chaloupka
October 3rd, 2003, 09:33 AM
Just wondering if it's a good idea to have a protective filter on the GL2 at all times, and, this may be a stupid question, but can I use any 58mm UV filters made for still camera lenses, or are there specific filters for camcorders?

Frank Granovski
October 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
A UV can be used on a still cam or video cam. It's a good move to keep one on to keep the lens protected.

Brad Higerd
October 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM
There are lots of opinions on whether to use protective glass at all times, and I am beginning to believe the moderators who suggest not adding glass to the front of the GL2 when unnecessary. I think the image quality is better without anything, but you may want to check into insurance. I shoot in a state of peace knowing my deducible is $0.

Vladimir Chaloupka
October 3rd, 2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot--by the way, what's the deal with that "tourist" thing...

Brad Higerd
October 3rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
Vladimir,

The "tourist" thing will go away with future participation in this forum. In general, the guys with lots of posts produce lots of useful advise.

Brad

Bud Kuenzli
October 4th, 2003, 02:17 AM
here are some thoughts on the subject that rears its ugly head so regularly ;)...

It's smart to protect your main lens as much as you can and keeping a filter on it is good protection. My filter was nicked just last month. I have NO idea how it happened. I am meticulous, but I was on a river raft trip so it saved my camera.
BUT
Poor filters throw money at something that degrades your lens and makes your multi-thousand dollar investment worth a whole lot less. So NEVER buy cheap filters. Get B&W or other high-end filters.
Keep it scrupulously clean. The very high dof of digital video means that tiny specks on a filter can be visible so keeping your lens and filter perfectly clean is critical.
Do NOT use a filter if you are shooting with the sun anywhere to the front or front side of you if you can avoid it. The odds of showing flare and imperfections/spots on the filter becomes much greater.
So keep a lens pen and a micro fiber cloth with you at all times and use and remove the filter as appropriate.