View Full Version : GL2 Sample STILL Images?

Kevin King
October 6th, 2003, 02:47 AM
I know the GL2 is a VIDEO camera, but I'm still very interested in the stills option. My camera won't be here for at least a week, and my wife is really wanting to "play" with it to take some nice close-up snaps of flowers. Just for fun, but hey, that's what she's into.

Problem is, I can't find ANY actual sample original images to show her what to expect. I've seen plenty of images, but most of them are frame grabs from NLE software. Could someone possibly post or email me a still pic shot to the memory card, taken in good lighting, at full 1.7MP (1488x1128) - just the raw pic as it comes out of the camera. I'm dying to take a look and see how "bad" or quite possibly how "acceptable" the image will be.

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Graham Bernard
October 6th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Apologies!!! - Thanks for putting me right Jonathan . . . .

I've edited this thread not to misdriect people . . ho well . . one learns . .

Grazie

Jonathan Richards
October 6th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Wrong type Grazie. These are video stills not the digital camera memory card type.

Kenneth Moestrup
October 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Hi Kevin.
I recently bought the XM-2, but haven't found much time to fiddle with the still options yet.
Managed to find one shot though - I snapped at the day of purchase - it's cropped, but otherwise "raw". Hope it's okay.

www.myimgs.com/data/coolmoed/Picture%20001.jpg

Regards
~Kenneth

Kevin King
October 6th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks Kenneth. That was pretty much what I was looking for. Looks like the gain may have been turned up a bit in this image due to the apparent low light.

All in all, I think it did pretty well. I opened it in PS and applied a 0.3 pixel guassian blur, and it looked just fine. Definately more than adiquate for the web and would probably make a fine 4x6 print.

Thanks.

Kenneth Moestrup
October 7th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Cheers Kevin.

You may be right about the gain level. I had the camera set on manual so that may be the case. I'll have to adjust the settings next time :)
Otherwise, the quality is pretty descent imo - in fact I'm considering buying a second SD memory card to hold a larger amount of images.

On a second note, I'm going to try that guassian blur-routine myself. So many features in PS...

Anyways, good luck with your GL-2.

Regards
~Kenneth