View Full Version : GL2 Warranty...

Ryan Krga
October 15th, 2003, 06:10 PM
I bought my camera from a friend around April 17th of this year. He purchase it on October 22nd of last year. He never filled out the warranty card and neither have I, yet. The warranty is ending VERY soon (October 22nd). Am I going to have to get the warranty transferred or can I call up Canon and tell them that I will be sending it in?

I've never sent anything in before, but I was planning on sending it over night this Friday. What am I going to need to pack along with the camera?

Thank you very much,
Ryan Krga

Rob Wilson
October 15th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Ryan,

Recently faced a similar problem, had a shoot scheduled for the 2 days prior to the end of my warrantee period. Called the CA Canon repair center and they said no prob, as long as it's close. They will require a proof of purchase date (invoice/receipt) to establish when it was purchased though. They fixed everything and had it back to me 6 days after I sent it out. Great Service. I would give them a call.

Ryan Krga
October 15th, 2003, 08:02 PM
Thank you so much for your response. I have the receipt from where he bought it (B&H), so is that all I'll have to include to validate the warranty? Or should I send the Warranty form also?

Jeff Donald
October 15th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Since the receipt is from B & H Photo, a known Canon Authorized Dealer, you probably won't need to send the warranty card too. But sending it won't hurt and also establishes that the camera is a US model and eligible for US Warranty service (i.e. not Grey Market).

Rob Wilson
October 15th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Ryan,

I sent mine in with the cam and they returned it so guess it wasn't to important. Appartently, the only use for the card you send in is so the marketing folks get some data. The repair side only wants to know when you bought it.

Ryan Krga
October 15th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Alright, thanks so much for the help with this. I don't know where I'd be without this forum.

Ryan Krga

Jeff Donald
October 16th, 2003, 08:50 AM
The warranty card and receipt will be returned. After all it is your property. They are used to determine if the repair is within the warranty term (usually one year) and if the camera is eligible of US Warranty service.

Ryan Krga
October 27th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Turns out I misread the warranty's ending date. It ended a month ago. :(

I still want to send the camera in because the light drop out problem I have is VERY servere. A lot worse than I've seen on this forum. Do you think I'm going to end up paying a huge amount of money to get it fixed or will they be on the generous side and let it slide since I've never sent my camera in before? I've read that people sent their camera in and received a brand new one in return, but that was while they were still under warranty.

I am on a very low budget and would be extremely disappointed if I had to pay close to the price I bought the camera for to get it repaired. I wish I was better with sending things in on time. This flat out sucks.

Thank for the help guys,
Ryan Krga

October 28th, 2003, 08:38 AM
it doesnt totally apply to your situation ryan, but i thoght i would mention it:
i just sent my gl2 back to canon, i bought it 11 months ago and i had a problem in the ccds... i lost my original receipt and the placei bought it from went out of business. all i had as any form of purchase was the warranty card.. canon said they would honor my warranty if i sent the cam in w/ the warranty card completely filled out. my camera should be back here tommorow.
a little off topic... but you all might be comforted to know that canon treats their customers well and in ryans case... maybe they will honor ryans situation the way they did mine.
good luck.

Ryan Krga
October 28th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Jerry, thanks for the response. Just out of curiosity, which repair center did you send it to? New Jerssey or Irvine?

October 28th, 2003, 11:34 PM
new jersey.
i spoke with Bal, she was super helpful and got everything taken care of so fast