View Full Version : Backlight

Danny Santos
November 10th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Hi, please excuse my ignorance (also just retired and taking up videography) and I need help on my newly purchased GL2. I need assistance in "backlight".

I looked at the manual and can't find on how to adjust "backlight". Please correct if I am wrong. Is Backlighting when the subject is too dark and the background is too bright? As an example I took a picture of my friend while we were in my boat and him holding his catch fish. My friend and fish were too dark and can hardly see it.

How do I adjust the GL2 for this situation? Thanks for your help.

Graham Bernard
November 10th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Manual Exposure. You need to get off the easy mode filming. Flick the exposure wheel up a couple of notches till you can bring more detail to the "faces". Be careful not to leave this in position - I've done this and have "blown" the bride's dress - not good!

Grazie

Danny Santos
November 10th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks for your quick response. I got it and playing with my GL2 right now. Didn't realized how easy it is.

Alan McCormick
November 10th, 2003, 10:29 AM
A very good point Grazie,

you know I am new to the XM2 and videography but I have nearly straight away gone for full Manual control.

This is purely because of the reason that Danny has mentioned, I find that being in manual I can alter the exposure quicker than changing modes.

Not fully sussed yet, my better ½ has noticed the improvement ;)

The thing I would like to improve on is manual focus, I find it difficult to keep focus with the colour viewfinder/LCD - another story!

Graham Bernard
November 10th, 2003, 10:39 AM
"I find it difficult to keep focus with the colour viewfinder/LCD "

Oh yes! Focus and the LCD. One word. Don't! . . .well that's 2 words, but with an apostrophe . . . . I only use the v/f for this. Try this with spectacles? AND when you are hot and streaming with . . sweat . . in a hot wedding . . . Zoomm into subject - MF - Zoom out to frame - easy peasy!

Next? . . . . .

Grazie

Alan McCormick
November 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM
To be honest I don't like the LCD and use only if I am framing a shot or someone else is looking in too.

I have to use with specs as I wear them all the time!

Thanks for the zoom tip I WILL try this, time is always of the "essence" though and the time I have lost a shot trying to get a close up and the subject moves out of shot, darned ignorance ;(

Graham Bernard
November 10th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Alan - Try this. If you got plenty of light, zoom in to subject on auto focus; flick to m/f then zoom out - that should do it. The only trouble with auto focus is that the cammie will try and focus on that which comes into view between the subject and you. The XM2 is pretty good for the money. Event shooting - weddings - can drive one up the wall! But if you experiment with the above it should get you thru' - yeah? Others will have their own opinion . . .

Grazie

Alan McCormick
November 10th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Thanks Grazie, thought this may be a good option but did not actually try it.

I did post this question before I did a wedding a few weeks ago but did not get a definitive /positive answer on it.

In the end I stuck to full manual, lost a few shots due to out of focus and ended up sorting /using what i had in post edit.

Had a brilliant time though and it was sure a steep learning curve both with the XM2 & editing, well worth it ;)

Graham Bernard
November 10th, 2003, 11:21 AM
WHat do you use for editing?

Alan McCormick
November 10th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Liquid Edition 5.5 - I am new to editing too, have found this package to be excellent and very easy to use/understand.

From their forum I can see that the "experienced" have trouble adapting, especially from premiere but for those that put some initial time in they don't go back.

I am sure you will tell me different but it is the same old saying "it is what you are used too".

Had the Cam 2 months but been using Edition nearly 4 months now.

Bottom line - I have fallen in love with both ;)