View Full Version : GL2 Discontinued

Kevin Daman
November 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM
I went to buy the Gl2 from a store but they said it had been discontinued and they could only sell me what they had left over. anybody know anything about this?

Jeff Donald
November 21st, 2003, 12:02 PM
This sounds like an excuse from a dealer. I spoke to a dealer yesterday that had just placed an order that included GL2's and Canon accepted it.

Kevin Daman
November 21st, 2003, 12:04 PM
The Store was Best Buy by the way

Ken Tanaka
November 21st, 2003, 12:05 PM
We had another thread recently featuring a fellow (in Europe?) who was told that the XM2/GL2 had been discontinued.

All evidence at-hand, however, points to the contrary. Switch dealers.

Graham Bernard
November 21st, 2003, 12:17 PM
Not in London! Just searched the place where I bought it 1 year ago - they had the pric down by 50 quid . .it's now back up to 1599 gbp - so o o o go figure.

Bob Harotunian
November 21st, 2003, 01:18 PM
The last time prices dropped like that (rebates and all), the GL1 was replaced with the 2. Hmmmm. Now, when you consider that Sony and Panasonic are releasing new model upgrades, perhaps the GL3 can't be to far away?

Mike Ostracky
November 21st, 2003, 01:57 PM
Here where I live XM2`s are far from discounted. Director of an exclusive Canon distributer for my country said nothing about these models beeing discounted. He also laughed at a possibility of XM3 in next 7 to 9 months - at least he said so... i tend to believe him.

Yet I would like sooooo much to see the next brainchild of Canon... I can`t wait !

Peter Moore
November 21st, 2003, 02:17 PM
I hope this is true, because it means that the XL2 AND GL3 are around the corner. This could be very very interesting if it's true.

Trond Saetre
November 21st, 2003, 02:32 PM
Here in Norway, the XM2 is available and NOT discontinued.
I checked it again today with a local dealer.

Don Palomaki
November 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Discontinued could just mean the store has discontinued carrying it. The GL2 is not exactly a mass-market camcorder - and Best Buy is a mass market store.

Kevin Daman
November 21st, 2003, 04:58 PM
They will order the Xl1s for you though through canon, They said they couldnt order the Gl2 cause Canon doesnt sell it anymore and i would have to buy it from there online store becasue that would take it from three whearhouse where they have extras, I dont know if it was discontinued or not thats just what they told me and wanted to check it out with the forum since best buy makes a lot of mistakes (had bad experiences with ordering equip. before)

Jed Williamson
November 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
I just checked Bestbuy.com & it is still available online but not in stores. Very much overpriced at $2658.99

Kevin Daman
November 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM
I decided to buy it from best buy because they have a deal that if you find it for cheaper they will give you the deifference plus 10% of the difference, I found it for cheaper and bought it from best buy knowing that i could find it cheaper and get the difference price plus 10% thus making best buy the cheapest seller. and you are working with a big company

Nicholi Brossia
November 21st, 2003, 07:46 PM
Kevin, how did the "10% plus the difference" go? I've always thought that sounded like there was a catch somewhere, especially when dealing with a product that expensive (and with that big of a price difference from vendor to vendor). Also, did it have to be another physical store in your area? I'm guessing that internet deals don't count, but that would sure be nice.

Kevin Daman
November 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Nicholi Brossia : Kevin, how did the "10% plus the difference" go? I've always thought that sounded like there was a catch somewhere, especially when dealing with a product that expensive (and with that big of a price difference from vendor to vendor). Also, did it have to be another physical store in your area? I'm guessing that internet deals don't count, but that would sure be nice. -->>>

ITS WAS THE BIGGEST PAIN IN THE @$$ TO GET THE MONEY!!!!!

Best buys deal says ANY local competitor other than internet deals. When i went into get my refund the guy told me (after waiting an hour) that they could not give me the money because the price i had found it at was too much of a discount and if he gave me the difference best buy would not make any money (I found it for $300 dollars cheaper at Sammys cameras a very reputable store) after being a very angry customer and telling him it was BS and that if you have a policy like that you have to honor it, he decide to give me only a hundred dollars I told him to kiss my @ss and walked out. I went to another nearby Best Buy and tried to get the refund there (internet orders you can go to any Best Buy you please) after waiting an Hour the guy comes to tell me that the Camera store is not accepted as a local competitor because it is a specialty store. He says there competitors are only electronics stores like circuit city or the good guys. but not specilty stores (another excuse) after arguing for another hour he says that he will give me the FULL difference even though he doesnt want to (this was only after walking back in with the camera telling them to take it back because i no longer wanted it for the price) So they go to work trying to get the camera charged cheaper on my credit card but to no luck guess what It didnt. So they told me that they would call me to finish it a couple days later. They never called. but i received my billing statement from them and somehow while they were trying to discount the 300 dollars they removed the whole price of the camera and never recharged me so i got the camera for NO charge yeah thats right they remocved the 3000 dollar charge from my camera and forgot to put it bak on so now i have to go back in there to tell them that there idiots and i have a 3000 dollar camera from them that they never charged me for.

sorry so long but i was really mad at best buy

Aaron Koolen
November 21st, 2003, 08:45 PM
Plead ignorance and just keep the cam! ;)

Michel Brewer
November 21st, 2003, 10:10 PM
dont call them back, KARMA dont apply to those stores....and if you are in school, Sammys in Santa Barbara discounts almost everything with student id because of brooks institute.

m

Ken Tanaka
November 21st, 2003, 11:35 PM
Please stay on-topic. Let's not start a rant about retailers.

Rob Belics
November 22nd, 2003, 09:43 AM
The thing to remember, also, is Canon isn't going to tell you until they've unloade inventory. The dealers won't know, the sales reps won't know, and the distributors won't know.

There was a well known software company whos owner kept telling potential customers "Wait till you see the next version"! Customers kept waiting for the next version and sales reps became increasingly frustrated cause they couldn't collect their commissions.

Peter Moore
November 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM
Look, I know it's unlikely that Canon has told any of these dealers that the GL2 is discontinued. It's likely totally false. HOWEVER, it would be consistent with the simultaneous rebates on both the XL1S and the GL2.

I think that one thing that would be a good bet is that some new prosumer camera is around the corner. The rebates would encourage everyone to go buy the old stock while it's still there. The GL2 may well continue after the XL2, or whatever it is called, comes out, but it will definitely take a backseat to the new flagship, whatever it might be.

Larry Feign
November 22nd, 2003, 10:22 PM
I'm in Hong Kong. Two weeks ago I went, cash in hand, to the largest electronics retailer here to order an XM2 (no one stocks them ever, all pro and prosumer cameras are only available by order from the distributor). They got on the phone to Canon's HQ in Hong Kong and were told the camera is out of stock and that Canon Japan is not resupplying them. They (Canon HK) said mine was not the first order, and that their understanding is that the XM2 is discontinued. However, no word as to whether a new model will replace it or whether the whole line is discontinued.

This sounds pretty unequivocable. It's not a retailer making excuses. I'm a bit disappointed. I'm willing to wait a month or two for a newer model, but I wish they'd give a hint as to what (if anything) will replace the XM2...and when!

Peter Moore
November 22nd, 2003, 10:41 PM
Wow.

Well, anyway I predict that Canon will be coming out with two new cameras come next year. One will be HD, and have interchangeable real lenses like the XL1. The other will be SD only and have a built-in fixed lens. Both will have native 16x9, 24/30 fps, 3 CCD.

That's my dream anyway. :)

Don Palomaki
November 23rd, 2003, 07:46 AM
FWIW: the GL2 is still on the Canon Japan web site.

Will Fastie
November 23rd, 2003, 10:11 AM
I have found that Canon is very fast when it comes to changing its Web site (that is, CanonDV.com (www.canondv.com)) when there is a change in the product lineup. The site will even reflect overlap. When the ZR60/65/70 replaced the ZR40/45/50, both families were on the site for a short time until the newer family was available.

So I figure if the GL2 is still listed there, it's still available. As of a few seconds ago, it was.

By the way, one of the best things about CanonDV.com (www.canondv.com) is the Product Archive of discontinued products. It contains the pages that used to be accessible on the main site when those products were active. It's an incredibly good resource.

Will