View Full Version : wedding shoot with XM2, comments?

Yow Siang
November 23rd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Hi,
This is my first few full length wedding shoot with xm2.
Please feel free to give comments.

http://www.hemadeus.com/marceulindra

ys

Alan McCormick
November 24th, 2003, 02:34 AM
begin only so far:

A couple of points I have noted ys, note I am a beginner too.

1. I feel the use of a tripod would give you a better video, difficult to use in the moving sequences but I am sure there are many where a tripod could be used. If you look at the edges of the clip it becomes more evident.

I know this as I did the same in my 1st video last month ;(

2. Although the couple will enjoy the "full" showing I would recommend that you cut it down more.

3. A couple of bleeps here and there, don't know if they were the xm2 warnings (remember to turn off the bleeps in the menu before shooting) - could have been one of the grooms friends camera, don't know.

4. In hindsight I am sure you can see the light/shadows, a problem in such sequences, hope your actual ceremony is OK. Have you thought about additional lighting? I look forward to looking at your other sequences in the near future.

Take my comments with a bucket of salt (ie they are not set in stone or very technical responses, just my observations).

ps - I like the thought of the groom having to wait outside waiting!

Alan McCormick
November 24th, 2003, 03:28 AM
tea ceremony:

1. The tripod would have been ideal in presenting the tea part of the day.

2. It is best to NOT shoot towards windows as this will confuse the XM2 - have your back to the window. I think you sussed this yourself ;)

Once again I did exactly the same in my 1st wedding as I had no choice but it overexposed the shot.

3. Your choice of music is good, whats the last piece called/artist?

Alan McCormick
November 24th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Church:

I am afraid I felt a bit seasick after this one Yow!

13 years in the Royal Navy did not help me either ;)

I think you have done well to capture as much footage as possible but unfortunately the lack of a tripod and the overuse of the zoom has spoilt this.

The ceremonial arch is a great feature if you had got it steady. Going down to the low level is an excellent idea for the little ones but perhaps you could have stayed at that level till they passed, cut shot then moved down the aisle to set up the next shot.

If you want to walk around and film I suggest you consider some form of steadycam type device to cut out the shakes.

Cut out the zoom in & out, very difficult on the actual shoot but perhaps you can cut out some of the actual zooming in your post editing.

Use of your ND filter where the B&G were exchanging rings etc (light coming through ceiling windows) may have been appropriate or even relocation of yourself (probably not by the looks of it).

Once again these are my observations and a copy of comments I have received from others who have helped me in my quest to get better so don't take offence, learn by them. I cannot wait for my next wedding to improve on my 1st one ..............

Alan McCormick
November 24th, 2003, 06:04 AM
dinner:

I will not mention the tripod again ;)

You have some nice thought out shots Yow, I hope I get the same type of venue one day.

You noted the bright spotlight and moved but it still caught your lense, a difficult situation especially with the white dress & uniform.

Perhaps one of the Professionals can give us both a tip or 2 on this one.

Yow Siang
November 24th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Hi Alan,
thank you so much for your comments, they are really helpful and will make sure i bear all this in mind and try to avoid the mistakes if possible.

For support i used a varizoom flowpod, this is the second time i am using, i guess i really need more practise on it....

yowsiang

Alan McCormick
November 24th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Not heard of the varipod but have read many, many threads on various forums about the practice required for any steadying device.

Now I am not an expert at all as I have said but know that practice makes perfect in any job I have been in.

Perhaps you may like to check out the following "wedding specific forum" at http://www.videouniversity.com/wwwboard/wedding/ as I am sure this will help you too.

Good luck, maybe one day I will post a wedding short if I can get one small enough for my server, you can get your own back then ;)