View Full Version : new to the gl2

Joel Corral
November 30th, 2003, 01:53 AM
are there any tutorials out there that will give me more of a understanding about and how to use the different setting the gl2 has to offer.
When to use different-
Shutter Speeds
Iris adjustments

Custom Presets

what types of settings to use in out door with Sunny conditions
" " in out door with cloudy conditions
" " in out door at sunset.
" " Indoor low light.
" " For a Interview setting with dark backdrops.

Alan McCormick
November 30th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Cannot be specific but start by reviewing the posts on this forum as you will gain many, many tips and pointers. It will take time but is well worth it.

I do not know of any specific tutorial, practice appears to be the best answer.

ps I am new and learn't loads by going out there and shooting, making mistakes and learning, have fun!

Phillip Coolman
November 30th, 2003, 06:24 PM
I am dissapointed in the amount of and quality of teaching videos for newcomers to videography. I have recently purchased a 6 tape series from Videomaker magazine and was greatly disapointed. The videos were old and extremely basic. I have only been serious about videography for about 4 months. I have video taped 2 weddings. I have made many home videos. I have edited them on my iMac using FCE. I have learned a lot in a few short months but am a long way from being where I want to be. I am considering attending a basic shooting workshop put on by Videomaker magazine, but based on their video tape quality I am hesitant. I too would like to see more tutorials or attend a workshop which would aid me in my learning curve. I would also like to know of any good video (VHS or DVD) tutorials (even if not GL2 specific), workshops I could attend, classes icould take or books I could read. This forum is great but I want more. I have spent a fair amount of money on good equipment (GL2), but feel that I need much more knowledge to make the most use of it. To echo Joel's sentiments, what is out their to help us out?

Alan McCormick
November 30th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Looks like we "are" in the same boat, got my XM2 3 months ago.

I take it you are in the states (GL2), I am in the UK and am taking some advice from another forum user to join the IOV (Institute of Videography) over here. Received their pack Saturday, from what I can take in I can gain experience from fellow IOV professionals and at workshops, exactly what I need.

What about WEVA over there, I read this is a good source??????

You can always contact me direct via email at alan_mccormick_2@hotmail.com so the forum is not blocked

Graham Bernard
December 1st, 2003, 12:08 AM
Nice One Alan! - Get that application in - yeah?

"IoVers do it in FOCUS!" . . . . well mostly . . . .

Grazie

Alan McCormick
December 1st, 2003, 03:47 AM
Grazie,

Just spoken to the area rep (Peter Snell) and am going to the 1st meeting on the 11th to meet everyone!

Can't wait, as I said I want to start and do it right.

I will also be looking at the workshops programme, thanks for your advice.

Graham Bernard
December 1st, 2003, 04:40 AM
Ah, Peter! A real Gentleman - He was the guy that signed me up back at the 2001 IoV bash at Birmingham . . .. If I don't seeyah before, seeyah at the 2004 IoV bash new venue - Motorcycle Museum burnt down - very bad :-( .

Grazie

Alan McCormick
December 1st, 2003, 04:50 AM
yes, read about the fire. I have been there a few times in the past for meetings!

Just sent off the form so await my details to get on the web site (email bit).

Any ideas where the next bash is?

Graham Bernard
December 1st, 2003, 07:59 AM
Stoneliegh Park NAC [ The Royal Show Grounds ] - Exhibition & Conference Centre - Coventry - Wednesday 28th and Thursday 29th April 2004 ! ! ! !

Grazie

Alan McCormick
December 1st, 2003, 08:29 AM
see you there!

Jason Casey
December 1st, 2003, 10:00 AM
Might not be of any help, but I know when I got my GL2 a few months ago I went back to one of my old college textbooks that had a lot of information on the diffrent camera settings and when to use them, it definately helped me clear up a lot of things. Might want to go to a university book store or check online for college textbooks for video production.