View Full Version : GL2 / Optura in the Fire Academy...

Aaron Rosen
December 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM
Hi Everyone.

I may have the opportunity to shoot some video of our local Fire Academy. In this, there could be shots from inside the fire room, away from the smoke and water, at floor level (so there is less heat).

Since I am not brave enough to take MY GL2 in there (don't worry, it's my baby) but am dumb enough to take in a Canon Optura (yes, the origional), what is the best way to keep the Optura protected?

Thanks!

J. Clayton Stansberry
December 1st, 2003, 06:55 PM
You may see if you can wrap it in some fire-protectant sheet or blanket. Don't know what they have at the academy, but I am sure one of those guys could turn you on to something that would protect it. Make sure you have a UV filter on that sucker! Are you going to have the fireproof gloves on? If so, adjusting anything is probably out, so make sure you get it set before you run in. You're brave! Good Luck.

Clay

Aaron Rosen
December 2nd, 2003, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will borrow an extra Turnout jacket (Fireman's jacket) and wrap the camera in it.

I planned on sticking the camera on auto... I will have enough to think about besides fiddeling with the settings.

It's really not that hot in the back of the room... just smokey.

I will post some footage if ya'll would like when if I get some good stuff in the next few weeks.

- AR

Don Palomaki
December 2nd, 2003, 04:58 AM
Consider an undewater housing, or at least a good rain hood made for camcorders.

As I recall, the original Optura's did not do well in poor light.

Jeff Price
December 2nd, 2003, 11:17 AM
If there is smoke then there are particles in the smoke and you do NOT want to expose the innards of the camera and the tape to those conditions. So, at the very least stick the camera in a zip-lock bag, cut a hole for the lens and then tape the bag to the filter.

Then again, if it gets too warm you might need to worry about the plastic melting but you said it isn't that hot where you will be.