View Full Version : How to easy find the last recording

Dirk Goris
December 8th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Hi,

After I shot some footage I normally rewind the tape to see the result on a monitor. After doing this I want to go back to the last image shot.
Is there an easy way to do this?

With my previous camera (sony) there was a "end search" button but I can fnd it on my xm2.

How do you guys find back the end of the last shot footage?

Cheers,
Dirk

Chris Hurd
December 8th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Record a still photo to tape at the end of each shot (set the cam to tape mode and just get into the habit of pressing the "photo" button). Use the remote control to search for photos, and it'll take you to each shot break every time you press "photo search."
That's one way to do it, anyway.

Richard R Rivera
December 8th, 2003, 09:32 AM
The best way is to go by time code, since this will be on target. the time code will look like this. 00:04:12

What i have learned since i been in college for tv broadcast is that every thing is on time code and when it come to editing or splicing you depend on time code to get it right.

the best way to rember a place on a tape is to lable it on the tape the time code of the shots you want or write it on paper and put it with the tape. I find this to work at a great advantage. well good luck and i hope this helped you out.

Trond Saetre
December 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM
The XM2 has the record search buttons you may use to find the exact spot.
But like Richard said, use the time code.

December 12th, 2003, 05:22 PM
where is the photo search button?

Colin Sze
December 13th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Hey Jerry,
Photo search does not appear on your cam, it lies in the "SEARCH SELECT" on the supplied remote.
I guess most of us had misinterpreted your question. If the tape is in the cam and a TV, or external monitor is hooked to it, there is no way you can use Time code to scroll to any designated point. It is only viable when the footage is captured to a HDD and be brought to a NLE. I presume you can also use Time Code on dedicated decks to do the preview.
When you want to see the clips you shot earlier and wish the cam to bring you to where it ends (where blank area starts on remaining tape), you can try "RECORD SEARCH" in camera mode. But I am not sure if it still works if you had stripped the entirely tape beforehand (when whole tape is time coded).
An alternative is to use "INDEX WRITE", but it does not gives extra convenience in comparing to taking a still on your tape and use "PHOTO SEARCH".
Someone here have better ideas?