View Full Version : Optical Stabaliser

Cliff Elliott
December 15th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Hi all I am new to this list, only stumbling on to it last week, my question relates to the optical stabaliser on the XM2.

I recently purchased the XM2 and read in the manual to turn off the O/S while using a tripod, so last weekend I was at a rowing regatta shooting using the full range of the 20 x optical zoom and noticed, because of a strong wind I was getting a small amount of shake.

As a test I then turned the O/S back on and was amazed to see all shake removed.

My question, why should th O/S be turned off when on a tripod when it appears to help a lot?

Regards Cliff Elliott

P.S. this is a great list.

Graham Bernard
December 15th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Simple!

If you are on a tripod AND you are getting shake - wind stuff - camera doesn't know it's on a tripod, so engage OIS! My understanding of the ON/OFF OIS for tri or not relates to the very small adjustments OIS makes while you are panning on a tripod. Thinks it should correct. This means it would be using more and more battery reserves to do it. Think I got this correct. But yes . .if you've got the shakes while on a tripod . . engage OIS. If possible you could also shoot where it is less windy. I mean this. It is not only a suggestion for less shake it is also a plea for all of us to protect out cammies. Wind has both fine sand and grit of all types. Your lens is very, very important. Glass is hard. But taking a head on grit impact . .well . .think about it - yeah?

Now do I think OIS makes a difference? With me I aint so sure. I tested this out with the Camera Sales guy from whence I got my XM2 12 months back. He too wasn't impressed with even his own new stock of XM2s ability to reduce shake/movement with OIS engaged. I'm really glad you got a result with this function. Mines been into the "Canon Garage", and quite frankly I'm not convinced. I 've checked this out with a colleagues Sony - big difference.

Grazie

Alan McCormick
December 15th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Grazie,

Off to shoot a school carol concert this morning, will try out the OIS. The shakes are not due to "wind" in my case but the cheap tripod I have. Will have to change it sometime soon.

In some cases I might have to collapse the legs and use as a modified monopod so OIS will be handy.

Will let you know how it works out.

Graham Bernard
December 15th, 2003, 04:17 AM
"There is a little town in Bethlehem" - yeah?

Wonder if the 3 Kings had tripods? - HAH!

Alan, truly don't take the OIS for granted. I've done this . . not impressed with the results. Try leaning up against a wall; a friend . . also be very very careful with kids rushing about and knocking over the tri - yeah? Try and get some high up shots, for estab. You can cut them in to. Oh yes, some external estabs . . Page truning and close ups of the sheet music . . humour is a good one . . get some close ups of still lifes . . nativity stuff . . anything . . these are good to use as cutaways for those "boring" moments . . I'm most likely teaching my grandfather to suck eggs here . . but . . . Try and get a close up of the invite to the concert . . will there be any food being eaten? Minces? Try and get a shot of the laid out table "before" the hoardes descend - yeah?

Oh yes . .HAVE FUN! - wish I was with yer!!

Grazie

Alan McCormick
December 15th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Back already, it was primary 1st years so some of your advice was over the top ;-D

Only 1/2 hr long but it was great seeing their 1st play.

Before kick off I had a walkround with the Cam using handle grip to get low level shots etc. I had already thought of the fill-in shots, not so much for the boring bits but more my "can't keep up bits"

1st time for me using the handle, really enjoyed the difference and ease of use but hope it comes out OK.

ps I DID enjoy it, back to some daily work for a couple of days then I wil edit.

Signed up for Video Forum in Feb at Wembley so hope to see you there!

Hank Freeman
December 15th, 2003, 04:00 PM
I shoot alot of video on a tripod, perhaps 4-6 hours per week. I have never turned off the stabilization. In fact, it's a god-send for the reasons listed in this post. At a 20X zoom the minor shake of your hand, the vibration bleachers at a ballgame, the wind, or just about anything can cause a visable shake. I've never had any ill effects from zooming or panning either. So I'm at a loss whenever someone suggests turning it off.

Jeff Donald
December 15th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Use of IS depends to a large degree if your using a sturdy tripod or not. If I leave the OIS on with XL1's there is a noticeable bump at the end of a pan. However, if your tripod introduces some wobble or instability it may be advisable to use the IS. Ambient conditions, such as wind, may also induce enough vibration that IS is warranted.

Jeff Price
December 15th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Until you get a better tripod you can overcome some 'shake' issues by adding weight. Hanging a water bottle (with water or sand in it) from the center post of the tripod can sometimes do wonders. Avoid raising the center post unless you absolutely have to (otherwise keep it locked down as tightly as possible).

If the wind is very bad, collapse the legs (but you mentioned that one).

Alan McCormick
December 16th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Jeff,

A brilliant and easy solution for the tripod shakes - why didn't I think of that one?

not suitable for weddings though ;) - will have to save up me thinks.

Graham Bernard
December 16th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Yup, signed up for VF too. Feb is a long way off. We got our first permanent venue IoV9 meeting this Thursday night - just off the A40 . . don't know if you could make it?

So, Alan, how did you find the OIS? Yer wanna call me?

Grazie

Cliff Elliott
December 16th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Thank you all, for the replies, it would appear I need to use the stabaliser as required and like all other functions on this great camera set the parameters to the required shoot.

Over the comming weeks I intend to experiment with the camera, trying different settings etc, if you are interested I will share my findings with the group.

Again thankyou for the feed back.

Regards, Cliff Elliott

Alan McCormick
December 16th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Grazie,

in the middle of another project at the mo, will /should be able to review OIS by Friday. Will call you.

Don Palomaki
December 16th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Use IOS when it helps. On a good tripod iwith a sturdy base and a light touch it may not help much. The maain isue with tripod use is that at the start and end of a pan or tilt the camcorder is not sure whether or not it is an intentional movement or a shake, aso you will see a bit of lag at the start of the pan, and a bit of overshoot at the end of the movement, which you may not want.

Jeff Price
December 16th, 2003, 12:37 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Alan McCormick : Jeff,

A brilliant and easy solution for the tripod shakes - why didn't I think of that one?

not suitable for weddings though ;) - will have to save up me thinks. -->>>

There is a little bit more "elegant" solution. One would be to simply tape weights to either the center post or the legs. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have seen, though I can't remember where (Markertek?) a cloth "tray" that attaches to the tripod legs. When the legs are closed it folds up. You open the legs and there it is, ready to use to set either equipment or bags of sand.