View Full Version : Sand Snow setting.. What is happening technically?

Steve Luhr
December 25th, 2003, 09:41 PM
I'm interested in whether I should use the Sand/Snow setting on the GL-2 and what it's actually is doing. I understand the ND filter adds a real filter to the optical system for example. Just curious if there is an advantage to use it or should I compensate with something else like exposure, filter, etc. I regularly use a polarizer and shoot in AE or shutter priority. Nothing shows on search- probably too basic a question. Steve

Chris Hurd
December 25th, 2003, 09:56 PM
The Sand/Snow program mode is actually just the opposite of the Spotlight mode. Basically it's just the way the camcorder is metering the image. Spotlight mode exposes for the center of the image only and ignores how *dark* the surrounding areas are. Sand/Snow mode exposes for the center of the image only and ignores how *bright* the surrounding areas are. I think your best bet is to continue shooting Full Manual, Aperture priority (AV) or Shutter priority (TV) for better overall control of the image. Hope this helps,

Phillip Coolman
December 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Chris,

Could you amplify your comments. If I were to be shooting a backyard pool scene with my son in the Pool on a bright sonny day, What settings might I use?

Which is better to use in snow Apeture or Shutter manually and at what settings?

Thanks,

Phil

Steve Luhr
December 28th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Chris, that was clear as a bell. Simple enough, just not mentioned in the manual. Thanks. I don't see a good use for it at this point in my short video life. Steve

Frank Chang
January 11th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know if the shutter speed changes or is fixed in sand and snow mode, and if it is fixed what speed it is fixed at? I'm sure the aperature varies depending on the available light.

Rob Lohman
January 12th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Frank, I merged your new thread (your question) into this already
existing thread to keep the clutter of multiple threads reduced.