View Full Version : Is this a fair price for XM2...

Richard James
December 30th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Hi, just seen an XM2 (edit: on ebay.co.uk),says its brand new, with warranty, WD58-H adapter, and a ma300 microphone adapter, (apparently camcorder comes with a "computer kit" (don't know if thats normal?).

Apparently everything is brand new and unopened, its £1250, will probably go up to at least £1,300, is this a fair deal, or overpriced?

Graham Bernard
December 30th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Richard,

As far as I know, and when I purchased my stuff this time last year, the XM2 doesn't come with the MA300 or Mic kit or WD58H [ wide-angle lens and hood]. You have to purchase these things separately. This was the first "bell" that rang for me from your post here.

I have no idea what the "computer kit" that you talk of that is meant to be included. What I got was the Canon Digital software. This is for the management of stills from the cammie. I didn't even use the disc for the XM2 drivers. My pc just picked up what it wanted and off it went. So, again if this is what Canon supplies anyway, why make something of it?

The one year warranty, for me, was a given with my brand new Canon XM2. This warranty is offered on most electrical goods - it's our protection. Now, if you want to extend this further AFTER the year up then that's up to you. Are you considering the purchase from a genuine Canon dealership? I wouldn't go anywhere else. But that's me.

Okay, here are some very quick figures I've put together for you . .found on the net, I'm not aware of any discounting for the XM2 that has been going on in the States over the past 4 months for the US version GL2, these have been in the order of $200 - I think. Sorry, I wandered, here are the figures some include vat:-

. . all these figures are approx, yeah?

XM2 = £1545-£1599

MA300 = £120 - £130

WD58H = £104

What is the mic kit? If it is anything like the Senni kit you're looking at, at least, another +£250 for the MK66 and K6 power module?

So, with or without vat, this comes around £2,000. You are being quoted something in the range of £1250-£1300 . . hmmm . . . This is a reduction something in the order of £700. Does this price include vat or not? If it doesn't, then the VAt portion, for all the stuff you've quoted would still bring it below the going price from a Canon dealer here in London JUST FOR THE XM2 itself . .

The last part is, "Apparently everything is brand new and unopened" - so are you contemplating buying from a dealer or a member of the public or from an auction site? If you aren't buying from a dealer, then do you know that the paperwork for this second-hand purchase is in place to allow ownership to be transferred to you AND that the warranty options still hold? Are you sure about this? Does Canon allow non-dealer-purchased equipment is covered by their one year warranty? Another thing is that how would this leave you if you wanted to "extend" the warranty past the year end?

Look, you are investing major money in a piece of kit. Please be sure that the outcome and long-term are covered. Bottom line here, and on today's prices, someone is out of pocket to sum of nearly £800, on a piece of equip that is only some 16 months on the market. . . you think about it . . . do you think is a reasonable discount for a "boxed" unused product? Could have been an unwanted gift or part of an estate being sold off . . I don't know . .

My advice would be to go to a Canon Dealer. Get a relationship with that dealer and make sure you've got everything in place. Equipment does fail. Mine has. I got it in to the "Canon Garage" within the 1 year warranty. That job, in itself, is now covered for a further 3 months. I hate to think what it would have cost by itself! - So, you can either wait until you get a price from a recognised dealer you can afford OR make a decision on buying from a source where you may or may not have redress . . ??

So, is it fair price? This is more than the issue about being a fair price . . it's what happens "after" you may purchased the "kit" - yeah?

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I do hope this has helped,

Grazie

Richard James
December 30th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Hi Graham, Thanks for the reply.

The camcorder is on ebay.co.uk (search for XM2 on the site)
I know there have been a lot of false auctions on there...
Apparently it comes with the warranty card unused, and everything brand new.

Buying brand new is always an instant loss, but of course, you need some kind of cover for something this expensive,
However i wouldnt be willing to pay online, if i did buy it i would have to collect...

The computer kit is just a sticker that is shown on the side of the box pictured at the ebay site "computer kit included!", not sure if thats just basic picture software, or a version of the camera that comes with firewire cables, cards, ect, (if such a version exists?)

so i supose it works out at about 480 off the retail prices...

Quite a large saving, but i'm not sure if its a standard saving or not, since i havn't seen many XM2's selling second hand (maybe its because there so good!:)

I live in north london, but havn't been down to central london to look for the camera, as it seems the internet is the only place to get the camera if you want a good price.

It seems like this person has brought everything new, and is now selling... but need to be carefull with anything like this i supose.

Thanks

Richard James
December 30th, 2003, 06:56 AM
It also says: MINIDV KIT on the box.?

http://i24.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/16/ad/ea_3.JPG

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 30th, 2003, 09:27 AM
According to the sticker, the ComputerKit refer to an USB cable, a SD Memory card and the pictures management sofware. I think that thoses accessories are always included with the GL2/XM2.

Graham Bernard
December 30th, 2003, 10:05 AM
. . yup, that's what I got . . amongst the other users, I suspect.

Chris Fangio
December 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Richard,

if we're talking about this auction

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2975073572&category=20333

I'm pretty sure that this is a serious and good offer. He's an eBay Power Seller with 309 good ratings, the pictures included show what you get. For my part I would trust him.

Try to email him and aks a specific question to get in contact and find out more.

Greetings from germany,
Chris

Richard James
December 30th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks,

What has been happening on ebay.co.uk recently is people have been hijacking accounts, with high ratings, and selling items like this, but this seems gunine, its a bit out of my budget, but it seems like a fair deal i will consider it, thanks:D

Richard