View Full Version : quickstream drive, forum expansion...?

Emmet Lucey
January 5th, 2004, 01:02 AM
as i type these words a nice new mce tech quickstream hard drive is wending its way across the atlantic to my snowbound cabin in this darkened arctic land...... i have to believe that these direct to disk variants will quickly go forth and multiply. what of expanding this particular forum to all direct to disk technology .... ?

http://www.mcetech.com

Chris Hurd
January 9th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Howdy from CES in Las Vegas,

Emmet, I share your enthusiasm for direct-to-disk technology and the QuickStream. Congratulations on your purchase; please let us all know how you like it! We are indeed going to host dedicated discussions about QuickStream; look for more about this once I've returned home to Texas early next week. I've talked with MCE and although I can't disclose details at this moment, there will be a special promotional offer exclusively for DV Info Net members similar to what you've seen on other sites. Hope this helps,

Daniel Kohl
July 1st, 2004, 04:20 PM
This is kind of directed at Chris Hurd or any wrangler out there. I don't want to step out of bounds again, but I just wanted to let us know that after spending a lot of time on the phone with people at MCE, I discovered that Jason Opat has moved on from MCE to other things, apparently.

If this is true, then I'm just wondering if it makes sense to have him, or (you Jason if you are still monitoring this forum) as a wrangler for this topic.

Having the name of someone in connection with MCE somehow gives the impression that MCE is taking their presence here seriously, and I don't think that is the case.

If I'm wrong, please forgive my boldness. And correct me.

Rob Lohman
July 3rd, 2004, 05:36 AM
I will notify Chris on this matter, Daniel.

Chris Hurd
July 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the notice -- we're making changes, it's just happens kind of slow, as usual.

Jason Opat
July 11th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Sorry for the lack or monitoring in ths forum. I have left MCE and am no longer working for them. However, when I left a had agreed to continue this forum on thier behalf, but I have not been able to reach an agreement.

I discussed this with Chris Hurd at NAB, and I apologize to Chris for not following up on this matter. I could not continue answering questions on a product that I have not been updated on. The versions I have been running and testing for the last 2 and 1/2 years are not the same as the current units advertised. I am not sure if what MCE's plans are with providing support for this forum.

I will continue to offer my expertise on my own merits as I have been doing video production professionallly for over 10 years, as well as working with companies involved with development of computer peripherals and systems.

Chris Hurd
July 11th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the update, Jason -- I'm sure we'll be talking again soon at some show in the near future. Stick with us,

Daniel Kohl
July 12th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks, Jason. Good to hear that you are still around.

Jarred Land
July 17th, 2004, 10:56 PM
many problems more like, and We would suggest you hold off on buying them untill you are guranteed a new firmware.

Read the new DV magazine for a review to see some issues that I have also found, The thing is pretty amazing but just has a small glitch that makes you loose footage that just happens to be a very bad glitch.

Wayne Starick
July 18th, 2004, 08:20 PM
I've just bought a Quickstream and have yet to use it 'in anger'. Your mention of a small glitch is a bit of a worry - can you elaborate?

I've also just bought a Panasonic DVC30 and plan to use the Quickstream in conjunction with it.

So far I've had no luck getting the camera to control it despite there being menu options to control an external device. Has anyone managed to get this combination to work - ie without having to manually press the 'Record' button on the Quickstream unit?

Wayne Starick
July 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Hi all,

I keep checking this forum, but posts seem few and far between.

Does this mean that people have given up on the QuickStream solution or does it mean that those using the QuickStream have no problems or questions that need answering.

Just wondering...

Mark Williams
July 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Yep. Hardly anyone had any success with the product. This is really ashame since the product was at a great price compared to higher end drives at $1,000 +

Patrick King
July 27th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Just read an interesting review on camcorderinfo.com about the CitiDisk from Shining.com.

Similar concept & product. $600 for basic model.