View Full Version : Quality compared to an XL-1

Greg Matty
May 9th, 2002, 01:31 PM
When the GL-1 debuted, some said they liked the picture better than an XL-1 as it was sharper. Now that the camera has been out for a while, there are probably some pretty objective comments to be heard.

If anyone here has experience with both cameras, a little comparison would be great. I am looking for a second camera and an XL-1s is too pricey. I also like the fact that the GL-1 is real compact is size. Is it really recommended to swap out the stock microphone? If so, has anyone tried something like a Sennheiser ME66?

Thanks.

Greg Matty

Don Palomaki
May 9th, 2002, 02:39 PM
The GL1 image is a close match for the XL1. But it has a 1/4" CCD, and uses a differnt lens and has some different DSP options from the original XL1 that tends to give it a sharper (if more procesed) look. THis can be adjusted somewhat for a better match. A replacement model is rumored to be up for announcement later this year. as the original GL1 is 3 years old now, and ther is a $250 rebate from Canon that runs into the summer.

You can use external mics if you like. The GL1's stereo mic is built into the handle, kind of like on the VX-1000/VX-2000, and it is somewhat directional (cardoid). It is a good internal mic for a camcorder at its price-point. You can use an external mic if you like. The ME66 is a far better mic, but a pair along with XLR adapters will cost about half the price of the GL1 (after rebate).

The GL1 does not offer the control over your shooting youget with the XL1; no slow shutter speeds (below 1/60th), no interchangeable lenses, more limited audio options and somewhat higher noise audio preamps, to name a few.

Greg Matty
May 9th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks Don.

I would use this camera mostly for video, not audio. If I had two camera's on the same subject, I could just use the audio from the XL-1. Syncing dialog would probably prove impossible, but ambient sounds should be fine. It is good to be reminded that the GL-1 is near the end of its life cycle.

I think it is time to research that e-mail about receiving a government grant that doesn't need to be paid back. I think all of use could use a couple of those. :)

Greg Matty

Chris Hurd
May 9th, 2002, 06:47 PM
The GL1 will probably be replaced soon, but that doesn't stop it from still being a great camera which will give you years of good video ahead. If anything, it only means the GL1 is as inexpensive now than it ever has been or ever will be.

Greg Matty
May 10th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Chris,

On my other thread about helmet cams, you said you did not recommend the GL-1. Was that for the specific application I was referring to, or for the camera in general?

Greg M

Don Palomaki
May 10th, 2002, 03:24 PM
IMHO, The GL1 is too large (and too costly) for use as a helmet cam where it is likely to be subject to great physical abuse.

I would suggest something smaller. Note that Supervideo.com may have some suggestions somewhere in his archives, cameras for skydiver use.

If you have a lipstick camera head, maybe use a Sony GV-D200 ot GV-D300 as a recorder, placed in a well-protected pack.

Greg Matty
May 10th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Don,

I don't yet have a lipstick camera head or recording device. I have a GVD900 but that too is too expensive to be used for recording.

The helmetcamera.com setup sells for $295. I could probably get a pretty good DV single CCD camcorder for $700 or so and keep the cost in the $1,000 range. Then again, if I am buying another camera, maybe I should just buy a GL-1 or equivelent and skip all the helmet cam footage for this video. I guess I don't just need two cameras, but three. The XL-1, a good second camera, and a "cheapo" connected to some sort of helmet cam device.

One problem with having so many options is that it makes it tough to make a decision.

Greg Matty

Don Palomaki
May 11th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Probably can find recently discontinued Canon ZR series models for well under $500 if you look around. The GV-D200 is the Digital8 version of the GV-D300/1000 series with no LCD, goes for just under $600.