View Full Version : ski videos

Frank Chang
January 9th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I'm very excited, my new GL2 arrived today. Planning on filming disabled children skiing tomorrow AM and every Saturday for the next ten weeks. Was planning to set on Sand and Snow setting for tomorrow til I learn more about the manual controls. Will be skiing along side the athletes while filming. The manual states that in sand and snow setting "you may notice some shudder when recording moving subjects"

Can someone please explain why this is?

Should I set a fixed shutter speed on TV mode and overexpose a stop or two instead? The weather report for tomorrow is clear sunny skies (ie. it will be pretty bright).

What would be the optimum shutter speed to show the motion of the skiier against the fixed background but still obtain a sharp image of the athlete?

Thanks for any advice.

Frank

Rob Lohman
January 10th, 2004, 07:28 AM
See this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19431) for an explenation on what it does.

Frank Chang
January 10th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks Rob,

I had already read the Thread you linked to, and I understand the general principle of the sand and snow mode opening up the aperature similar to a back lite situation. My question was why does the Gl2 manual say you will see shuddering while in sand and snow mode? And what exactly is shuddering?

I shot some today with and without ND filter, some sand and snow mode, some auto, some manual, and plan to experiment some in TV mode next week, and with polarizer filter. Had a glorious sunny day today, just got in so will review the footage tomorrow AM.

The GL2 seems to have tremendous control of many of the variables so am looking forward to learn its functions and capabilities.

Frank Chang, MD

Dirk Goris
January 12th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Is it possible to post some footage please?
At: http://www.mac.com/ you now get a 60 day try-out period for free.

Dirk

George Brackett III
January 12th, 2004, 04:58 AM
Frank- you really should learn how to use the GL2's zebra bar feature, and forego the exposure presets. With a little experimentation, I think you'll be quite surprised at the results...

Frank Chang
January 12th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks George,

I sure plan to learn to use the zebra bar feature, I had only had the camera a few hours before I took it out for my first shoot.

As I mentioned in my first impressions post it was quite difficult to see much detail on the LCD in the very bright sunlight while skiing wearing dark glasses, and I can't really use the viewfinder while skiing either. I guess I could set the shot up with the zebra bars but the light really varies while we are skiing through varied terrain, conditions, different camera angles as the athletes turn back and forth, constantly changing backrounds as we move down the mountain.

Frank Chang
January 12th, 2004, 08:25 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dirk Goris : Is it possible to post some footage please?
At: http://www.mac.com/ you now get a 60 day try-out period for free.

Dirk -->>>

Dirk I'm not sure I have any footage worth posting. What do you want to see? My question was regarding shutter speed and the sand and snow mode.