View Full Version : Shot in movie mode , should I capture....

Philippe Gosselin
January 11th, 2004, 02:36 PM
So should I capture in 29.9 or 24 fps.

Since i did the movie this really puzzles me .

Thanks

Jean-Philippe Archibald
January 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Capture it in 29.9. The GL2 can't do 24p even in frame (or movie) mode. In normal mode you will have 60i (60 fields/seconds where fields are half-frame) and in frame mode you will get 30p.

Rob Lohman
January 12th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Can you tell us which capture software you are using to capture
this? Because for a DV capture you would not need to tell the
software in what rate to capture, the DV stream decides that.

Only when doing an analog capture are you normally asked for
the framerate to capture at.

Don Palomaki
January 12th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Isn't frame mode still 60i, just that the second field of the frame is created from the same instant of exposure as the first field rathter than being 1/60 sec later.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
January 12th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Yes, Don is right, perhaps I could have been more precise. Frame mode will give you something close to true progressive but with a little bit of loss in resolution.

Philippe Gosselin
January 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Thank you all for answering

Rob : i'm using Vegas 4 for capture and edit. It doesn't ask me to though but i was under the impression that the camera records 24fps until Jean-Philippe put me back on the right track

Jean-Philippe: any kinoites au Saguenay

Thanks all

Phil

Jean-Philippe Archibald
January 12th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Hi Philippe.

I am not aware of any kino organisation in Saguenay, but I heared of one at Alma, Lac-St-Jean.

Usually, the best of kino shorts from all the province is presented during the "Regard sur le court métrage" festival at Chicoutimi. This year it is scheduled from 26 to 29 february.

Regard sur le court métrage (http://www.caravane.tv)

Are you a kinoite yourself?

Philippe Gosselin
January 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Hi JP (if i may)

No not yet . I actually had breakfast with the guy that started it all 2 years back , very nice fellow btw. Since then i've been working my ass off to buy equipement and be as independant as possible. I achieved my goal ,actually i am missing a mic but that will be solved shortly , after that I will be a self-propelled filmmaking machine ;)

Right now i'm working on a demo for a blues band as well as writing some scripts. Still learning Vegas as well. I will be shooting pretty soon. Will do a video for the blues band and I intend to present that to Kino, first field test i guess

Thank for the link , it looks promising.

See ya

PS: Just looked at the schedule and the kino founder (christian laurence)will present a short of his on march 2 . The one called "la main droite de mon ex"

be sure to check it out , he is very talented

Rob Lohman
January 13th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Okay, lets get a few facts straight here (just to be safe):

1) the GL2 will either record in 29.97 fps / 59.94i (NTSC) or 25 fps / 50i (PAL)

2) the DV format makes no distinction between interlaced, frame mode or progressive footage. So yes, everything is STORED as interlaced

3) frame mode is indeed NOT the same as progressive mode, BUT the ONLY difference is in how a "progressive" image is acquired. After that stage a frame mode image is the same as a progressive one. Otherwise they would have needed to install full progressive CCD's which ofcourse adds up to the price tag

4) frame mode is a technique used by Canon cameras to capture a progressive image. The difference is that frame mode has less resolution than a true progressive image would have, but it usually has a bit more resolution than de-interlacing on the computer

Basically when you are shooting in interlaced the camera is taking
two half pictures slightly apart from eachother (in time) and then
stitches those together on the TV or computer. Since your
computer is working with full images you can see interlacing
artifacts (lines) when you move the camere or an object is moving
in the frame. You see this because each other line in the picture
is taking at a different point in time than the one before or after.

Frame and progressive mode take a full picture each round.