View Full Version : Mic and Tape for GL2/XM2

Rasmus Forman
January 13th, 2004, 03:48 AM
I have recently got a XM2 (european GL2) and is now looking for the right accessories.

What tape could you recommended for this camera
and what mic should I buy to make interviews - and also bag, tripe (support) and protections lens?

Are there other accessories, without whom a XM2/GL2 user canīt live?

Frank Granovski
January 13th, 2004, 05:08 AM
A UV "protective" filter, a good back such as a Lowepro Nova 5, a cleaning tape and that's about it.

I prefer Fuji miniDV tape; but the important thing is to pick a good type/brand that works for you and stick with it. Regarding a mic, Canon makes a few that are surprisingly good, for the money.

Rasmus Forman
January 14th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks for advices. Is there a speciel UV filter for this camera?

About mic I thinking about a micro-mic to put on the shirt of people.

Bill Ball
January 14th, 2004, 08:37 AM
If you can get it shipped to you, I strongly recommend the Calrad 10-91 tie-clip microphone. Its cheap ($31) US, very sturdy (metal not plastic), and produces excellent results with the GL2. Its so hot I used have to put it on the person's sleeve instead of chest when I had a Canon camera without adjustable audio levels. It's not as small as some but it wont let you down. Statistics below.

Another cheap gadget I have found extremely useful is a camera handle grip that mounts on the GL2 via the tripod mounting hole. The key thing about the camera grip I have is the grip is _under_ the mounting plate so that it doesnt interfere with the LCD screen. A grip that goes up wont work. Holding the camcorder with my right hand and the grip with my left gives a tremendously stable handheld shot. You can also mount accessories (mic or, god forbid, light) on the grip. Unfortunately I dont have a brand name for you and I got mine off ebay for $13 US. Check camera shops, esp. used--they usually have grips.

Bill

10-91 MINIATURE TIE CLASP MICROPHONE
Extra small, only 3/8" diameter. Excellent voice quality makes this new tie clasp microphone most versatile. Great for interviews, P.A., radio and T.V. network use, where free use of hands is necessary. Complete with battery, wind screen, tie clip, 3.5 mm plug. 10 ft. cord.
Specifications
Type Polar Pattern Electret Condensor Microphone
Frequency Response 50 Hz-8 kHz
Sensitivity -60 dB +/- 3 dB
Length 1 1/4"
Impedance 600 ohms at 1,000 Hz
Power Supply 1.5V Button Cell

Omni-Directional