View Full Version : kata ccc-102 bag?

David Ho
January 14th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Ok, I just bought the ccc-102 bag from Kata. Now, I was wondering do you guys usually have to take out those two yellow styroform mini-walls barriers that are attached to the sides of the inside? Also, do you guys then put the gl2 and use the black straps inside to strap on the gl2? I then put back the styroform wall barriers to accodomate the gl2 room space, but I thought there would be more sufficient padding inside the ccc-102... I am afraid the bag might not be able to take some abuse like if it accidenty rolls over seeing the inside only has one strap to strap on top of the gl2?

Graham Bernard
January 14th, 2004, 04:20 AM
For my money, the KATA-102, is a "Rip 'n Shoot" type bag .. meaning the whole top flaps back and there you have your cammie - yeah? It would seem that you are asking for a more heavier weight type of animal. As I say, the KATA, I've used on countless shoots, where Rip 'n Shoot is essential, has paid its way. As to the Styro walls, I've moved them about. I keep 2 large batteries in one section and at the otther end/section I pop in in my WD5H - the H - hood, provides "extra" protection for that expensive glass.

As to it's durability, I got caught betwixt 2 London Underground doors - the KATA got sandwiched and kept the doors open and held up the train. NOT A TEST I RECOMMEND! But, having said that the XM2 came out unscathed . . . my pride didn't!

As to the internal strap I strap it over the handle - yeah? as to roling about . .what do you get up to with luggage anyways? . . . yes that could happen I suppose. But I feel really safe with the bag and have no real complaints. Incidentally, because I find the shorter of the 2 internal straps is was always "flapping" about, out of reach from my fingers, I now have it velcroed back against the internal walll - the "hood" of my PortaBrace cover does this - neat eh? - and it's easy for me to locate it.

David, go on, get out there and shoot . .

Best regards,

Grazie

David Ho
January 14th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Hm... the only thing I might be worried about is the dividers or the walls of the inside scratching the camera if I keep rubbing against it. Is there anyway to protect the viewfinder, like with a cap? I usually put the gl2 with the lens hood + cap into the bag, with dividers so it stays put, and the straps over the handle. I am unsure whether the dividers or inside's material is very scratchy or not. I am concerned that it could scratch some lens or just the surface of the camera.

Bill Ball
January 14th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I dont have to take my GL2/Kata102 out in the field much so I'm not too conerned with it getting crushed or rolled.

What I did with the dividers is the following.

The camera lens/hood goes up tight to the front of the bag. The first divider goes snug against the back of the camera without battery attached. I leave just enough space between the first divider and the second to slip in a small supply of tapes. The remaining compartment gets batteries, my camera grip, and whatever else fits.

This arrangement keeps the tapes away from the batteries, forces me to remove the battery from the camera, and allows the viewfinder to rest on top of the two dividers, where it wont get smashed. It also keeps the camera in there pretty snug.

Bill

Nicholi Brossia
January 14th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I have the 102, but arranged my dividers a bit different than Bill. In order to keep the lens hood or viewfinder from getting smashed into the side of the bag, I used the dividers to isolate the camcorder in the middle of the bag. The first divider is located just far enough from the front to hold tapes lengthwise (also the same length as the batteries... very handy). I can easily fit 6 tapes and 2 batteries in that compartment. Next is the camera. The lens/hood are facing the tape/battery section, with the second divider located just behind the camera (my headphones also fit perfectly in between the lenshood and handstrap of the GL2). In order to get a snug fit, I've placed the divider directly behind the GL2 with no battery. Its a little annoying to keep putting the battery on and taking it off, but I think a good fit is worth the little hassle. Now I have a nice 3 inch or so space behind the GL2 where I can store lenses, headphones, mixer, or anything else I choose. The viewfinder hangs out over the divider, but the last section provides enough space that the viewfinder doesn't come into contact with the inner wall... so no chance of being smashed. All my cables and shotgun mic go in the side compartments.
I really like the configuration. I also like the advantage of the black strap to hold the camera. With this layout, the strap lays right accross the top of the handle, just before the record/zoom buttons. It feels very secure inside the bag when fully packed and strapped in. I can even shake the bag all around and the camera stays put... nice and comfy.