View Full Version : Thinking strongly about a GL2, but...

Rusty Smith
January 22nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
Hey what’s up guys,

I got a quick question. Before I put down 2k on a camera (which is a lot for a poor college student) I would like to get my hands on it and make sure I like the way it feels, looks, performs, etc.

This is a problem because I am going to school in the booming metropolis of DAYTON, OHIO (whoo hoo!)

I have looked around but can find no one who caries 3CCD cams. Does anyone by ANY CHANCE know of a store in or around the Dayton/Cleveland area would I would be able to even hold a GL2?

Thanks
-Rusty

Ken Tanaka
January 22nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Hello Rusty,

Here's a list of Canon dealers in, or near, the Dayton area (http://www.usa.canon.com/html/cdl/conCdlLocate.jsp?type=PPG&subtype=VIDEO&city=dayton&state=OH&zip=&displayLimit=30). It's unlikely that they all carry the GL2 but it's just as unlikely that none of them do. Dial 'n smile!

I hope this is helpful to you.

Rick Bryant
January 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Just come 30 miles south (cincinnati) "MicroCenter" rigtht off 275/Mosteller rd. has them.

Frank Granovski
January 22nd, 2004, 09:39 PM
make sure I like the way it feels, looks, performs, etc.Everything is good about this cam: easy to hold/ operate with easy to use manual controls. It's video quality is rich and sharp.

Graham Bernard
January 23rd, 2004, 12:58 AM
. . make sure you are happy with its OIS . . treat it with respect . .as with other cammies . . don't mix tape brands . . . consider an extended warranty . . . think carefully about the low light filming you are gonna do . . create a really good customer relationship with the dealer . . .

. . oh yeah . . have fun!

Grazie

. . did I mention the OIS?

George Brackett III
January 23rd, 2004, 03:07 AM
I've had my GL2 about a year- I wouldn't "leave home without it"- it's awesome!

Joel Ruggiero
January 23rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
see if you have a mac store in the aera cause there is one here in the mall and they have a gl2

Will Fastie
January 23rd, 2004, 11:18 AM
I'm happy overall with my GL2 and have become quite fond of the 20x optical zoom.

I had not thought much about low light because most of the shooting I do is either outside during the day or under lights. However, at Christmas 2002 I shot some footage at a friends house, something I'd done before with my Sony TRV8. Then I set aside the tapes and forgot about them until this year, when my wife asked me to make a short video as a gift to those friends.

I could not believe my eyes, and it has permanently changed my outlook. The GL2 footage was dark, dark, dark. Faces in a group could not be distinguished. By contrast, the TRV8's footage was just fine.

At the time I bought the GL2, the other option was the Sony VX2000. I don't regret the purchase of the GL2, especially because of its good audio capabilities, but I don't think I'll buy Canon again. Sony really does have a lock on low light.

Will

Chris Rieman
January 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Rusty-

I live in Dayton. I use my GL2 for my web site for UD sports. If you want some advice, let me know.

Michael Connor
January 24th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Yea vdx 200 is better in low light, but costs over £1000 more so one should expect so!
Re Will, it must have been a prettey dark room? Or maybe you never had the indoor white ballance selected?
Re George & Lyndon Every time i play with my manual settings, and achive best picture, if i flip back to auto, the settings are the same. Im really trying to see the big advantage with manual mode, and i suppose ive learnt a little in the process, but auto seems to get it right every time?! As for the settings lyndon suggested, they are good indoors, although better with db setting of 18, which the auto mode had selected. I tried changing in manual, and there was no effect on grain at all, there was no grain, just the picture was darker with a lower gain. I can get a good picture with a shutter rate of 1/50 as a minimum indoors where i'm at now. I read these pages hoping to learn, but am still finding this auto mode gets it right most of time, and its just white ballance i need to adjust occasionally. Maybe these cameras are different? Im using a pal version, here in the UK. But maybe there is a variation in quality between cameras of the same model? Im fairly sure people have discussed this else where. Would be interesting to see how a load of xm/gm2's fared against each other!
(Anyone going to the video forum in London next week? info here, is free entry too!
www.videoforum.co.uk/indexVisitor.php)

Jeff Donald
January 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Ritz Camera in Cincinnati (Rookwood Store) and Pete's PhotoWorld (6 or 7 locations) also has them.

Joe Cirino
January 25th, 2004, 01:01 AM
I live in Gates Mills Ohio, 20 minutes from cleveland if you want, you can try mine out in my home...

Let me know

Graham Bernard
January 27th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Alan . .are you going to film the video forum . . OR are you going to the video forum . . ?

Anyways, we ARE going to meet up - yeah?

WHich of the Smeinars are you attending? Hard eh?

Grazie

Alan McCormick
January 27th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Grazie,

I am going to the Video Forum on the Tuesday at the moment.

I will email/contact you direct, have been meaning to do so.

Not looked at the seminar schedule too closely just yet.