View Full Version : GL-2 Rebate check??

John Dimasi
January 26th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Has anybody received their rebate check from Canon yet. My request was received on November 1st 2003 by rebateshq.com. It's now January 26, 2004 and I've yet to receive it! They said allow 8 weeks. Well I think it's well beyond 8 weeks. Does anybody know how you can actually contact these people to find out what's wrong?

John Dimasi
January 26th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I think I solved my question on how to contact the rebate people. I found an email address. But why does it take so long to get a rebate of this amount back?

Bryan McCullough
January 26th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I just got an email today saying my rebate had been approved.

I only mailed it a couple weeks ago.

Who knows when the actual check will arrive.

Calvin Chang
January 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I'm also waiting for my check.
I received an e-mail notice saying that it's in final stages of processing.
My rebate receice date is 11-17-2003.

Calvin Chang
January 26th, 2004, 10:16 PM
I'm also waiting for my check.
I received an e-mail notice saying that it's in final stages of processing.
My rebate receice date is 11-17-2003.

Sean Doherty
January 27th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Mine was accepted last september, and I still haven't gotten my check. I have called and e-mailed and each time they have said 6-8 weeks. Well it's been over 16 weeks!! Is there something else I need to do?

George Brackett III
January 27th, 2004, 04:13 AM
This is exactly why I don't buy anything with a mail-in rebate. It's just another scam, and I guess Canon's just as bad as the rest

Joseph Lawrence
January 27th, 2004, 05:49 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by George Brackett III : This is exactly why I don't buy anything with a mail-in rebate. It's just another scam, and I guess Canon's just as bad as the rest -->>>

I received my camera in mid-September, submitted the rebate immediately and received a check from Canon in time to buy
a Beachtek adapter before Christmas. It took 10 weeks, but the
check did arrive.

Joseph

Chris Hurd
January 27th, 2004, 10:19 AM
It's not a scam, you will get a check. Eventually. They're just late, like everything else.

Arthur Babcock
January 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM
My rebate check was "in the final stages of processing" for about 2 months, but it finally came.

Arthur Babcock

Jason Casey
January 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM
...also it's not Canon's fault that you haven't gotten your check. They use outside people to process their rebates. That is the problem, they handle millions of diffrent rebates from diffrent companies. I believe it is RebatesHQ that is handling the Canon ones. I got my rebate in just about 8 weeks after I sent it in.

Chris Rieman
January 27th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Sort of a problem fellas. I sent in my rebate and got my confirmation email that it was received and approved and in the process of being created and sent to me. I sent the rebate just before the cutoff date for the initial rebate offer at the end of september or october (whenever it was). However since that time I have not received my rebate yet and unfortunately my MS Outlook crashed on me and I cannot get to the confirmation email.

Wasnt it like rebatecentral.com or something of this ilk? Is there a number I can call to see where my rebate is? Again, problem is, the confirmation email is held hostage in my MS Outlook which I can no longer open.

Anybody who sent their rebate in just before the deadline get theirs yet?

Help.

Gints Klimanis
January 27th, 2004, 06:32 PM
The wait period for rebates has several factors, but it rots to have to wait and worry. Instant rebates are my favorite. One reason for the long wait with the problem when the rebate is issued but the merchandise is returned. So, the rebate issue interval must exceed the cash-return policy of the store. Rebates are usually limited to one per person so that clever consumers can't earn money from rebates on merchandize which is finally returned. Another reason is that companies want to bunch expenses to tweak quarterly results or at least defer debt.
While you are waiting for your rebate, someone is earning money by "floating" your money.

George Brackett III
January 28th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Do you know why they use rebates?

1- They get to use your money for free (sort of like a no-interest loan, with no set payback period)

2- A lot of people, for one reason or another, never send in the paperwork

3- Often the check is disguised in a "junk mail" format, so it might get tossed.

Bottom line- I don't care if it's Canon- it's still a scam!

Chris Rieman
January 28th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Good comments all around. That said, can anyone address my questions? Thanks.

Jim OMalley
January 28th, 2004, 04:24 PM
The rebate web site is rebateshq.com

Chris Rieman
January 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM
exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Steve Olds
January 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
My rebate was sent in the 1st Nov. No check as of yet. They like to play with your money I think also for 12 weeks.

Steve

Ming Dong
February 7th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Is Canon strict about having to purchase from an "authorized dealer", as stated on the rebate form, to qualify for the rebate?

I see many unauthorized online dealers advertising the rebate.

In fact, one dealer I called claimed he was a Canon authorized dealer, but when I called Canon (the 800 number is on the rebate form), they said he was not! What if I had purchased a GL2 from them?

This is off topic but I thought I'd sneak it in..

Canons phone support was excellent!
- No long waits to speak to a live person
- They always introduced themselves, name and organization.
- The people I spoke with knew what they were talking about or transferred me to the correct person (on the first try)
- Whenever I was transferred, the transferor would introduce me to the transferee.
- When done, they always thanked me for using Canon.

I was really impressed. Very professional.

Evan Kubota
February 8th, 2004, 12:34 AM
"Is Canon strict about having to purchase from an "authorized dealer", as stated on the rebate form, to qualify for the rebate?"

Don't think so, as when I read the rebate form it said just that it had to be a brand new GL2 bought between Jan. 31 and whatever the end date was - sometime in April AFAIK? It did not mention an authorized dealer. Also, they have no way of checking this from the UPC - it's not like authorized dealers receive "special" or different UPCs.

Ming Dong
February 8th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately, the GL2 rebate form I printed from Canon's website, http://www.canondv.com/promotions/index.html, states in the Terms and Conditions:

"Only purchases by an end-user customer from an Authorized Canon USA Digital Video Dealer in the 50 United States are valid."

And you must include “…a COPY of the sales receipt from an Authorized Canon USA Digital Video Dealer with store name and purchase date…”

Chris Rieman
February 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Im not sure if I bought mine at a Canon authorized dealer or not, but it was approved and after a week of waiting I got an email from the rebate folks saying I should receive the rebate in 30 days. They also said it wont come in an envelope but rather an index card. I usually pitch those, I hope I didnt already pitch it.

Bill Ball
February 8th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Just got mine. Regular looking check in an envelope. Had to wait from mid-Sept to Feb 7. That stinks. But at least I got it. Especially good because I had already spent the funds on a glidecam :)

Lathe Austin
February 8th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I got mine last week. It comes in an envelope with RebatesHQ as the return address so look out for that. The timing for mine was they received my rebate on Sep. 10 and I was sent the rebate on Jan. 28. I'm just glad it came so no complaints here.

David Ho
February 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM
My rebate was processed at 1/17/2004 and now it is in the "final" stages, or so it says at rebateshq.com. Also, I have not recieved the email notice either. The only way I knew that my rebate was even still existant was by rebateshq.com. Do you guys know if they send out the e-mail prior to recieving the check meaning, they'll eventually send me one, or do they also send one prior to being PROCESSED or notified that my rebate IS processed/in final stages.... ?

Chris Rieman
February 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
The email I received was in response to an email I sent on the rebatshq web site asking about where my rebate was. I think the site said responses would be 24-48hrs but I didnt get one until about a week later, just basically saying in a generic sort of way that I should receive it in 30 days or so and that it would not come in an envelope -- which is weird because everyone else is saying theirs came in an envelope.

Jason Casey
February 9th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Canon is VERY Strict about buying from an authorised dealer. I put up a long post about this simetime ago. There are many places that are offering the rebate even though they are NOT a authorised dealer. You WILL NOT get your rebate if you don't buy from an authorised dealer! I talked on the phone with Canon directly about this on many occasions gefore buting my GL2 a while back. I had them check out a few places that were offering unbelievable prices on the GL2 after the rebates. Canon said that these places were not authorised Canon dealers and that if I tried to get the rebate if I bought the camera form them I would NOT get it! If you call one of these dealers they will try to tell you that it doesn't matter that they are not a authorised dealer but they are WRONG! To be sure ask them when you call if they will be willing to give you a refund for the rebate price if your rebatie is declined and I can guarantee that not a single one of them will! If the deal sounds too good to be true it is!

Evan Kubota
February 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Too late now, I already ordered and it will be here tomorrow. My credit card company will sic its lawyers on the store if my rebate doesn't go through.

"If the deal sounds too good to be true it is!"

In this case, $1699 after rebate did not sound too good to be true. It seemed like a reasonable price, especially given that some authorized dealers are within $100 of that.

Jason Casey
February 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Sorry to have to say this, but I doubt that credit card companies are going to get in a legal battle with a store that you didn't check out before you bought something at. I'd check out the store with Canon, if they aren't an authorised dealer I would call them and let them know and tell them you want to return the camera for a full refund, then buy one from a licenced dealer.

Evan Kubota
February 10th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Considering that the store says the rebate is valid on their site, the credit card company does not have much of a choice besides to go into battle. Who knows, maybe the rebate will go through and all of this is moot.

What's the best price from an authorized dealer, and what exactly does authorization consist of? What benefits, etc. are there?

Don Palomaki
February 11th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Everyone runs on credit. Rebates are set up so that no one pays the rebate until after they get paid for the mdse., and everyone in the mfgr-distributor-dealer payment chain has, what on the order of 30 days to make payment, from the date the mdse is received. Thus the long dealy.

Jason Casey
February 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
I can see the credit card company going in to battle if the price on the website is diffrent than what you were charged, but I just can't see them going after someone for a misleading rebate. To avoid major headaches I would just return the camera and get it from a authorised dealer.

Walter Scott
February 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM
I sent off my rebate in late November, never heard a word. Is there someplace I can contact?

Steve Olds
February 14th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Walter,
You should have a tracking number from Canon or the rebate co. If not go to this web site. Good luck.

www.rebateshq.com

Anthony Lee
February 18th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I thought that I would share my story. I bought my gl2 off of ebay....yeah yeah i know what you are going to say....anyway it was advertised as an authorized dealer when I double checked with Canon they didnt have them listed. Soooo...I started a complaint with SquareTrade AND paypal. The company I bought this from crapped their pants....said they never had trouble with it before and they would happily send me another invoice, this time with their parent companies name on it.

They sent it, i sent my rebate in, and so far I've recieved an email from the rebate company saying it was valid and they would process my check.

Calvin Chang
February 18th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Hi,Guys:

Just a update about getting your check.
I just off hook with CANON USA C.S. They verify my check has been printed and will mail out tomorrow.

If you have difficult reach rebateshq.com, call directly to CANON USA. Explain to them how many busy 1-800 calls you make and no mail respond from rebateshq.com. Then they will take your info to look in CANON's rebate database check it for you.

Too sad all CANON users have to go through this.

I wish every one gets his/her rebate check!

Calvin