View Full Version : Greetings GL users (and a sound Q)

Chris Roberts
February 2nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
I joined this forum after lurking for a bit. I must say, I've gained some valuable knowledge from you guys, and have changed some of my plans because of your sage advice.

After much searching, and too many years camera-less, I'm in the market for a GL2. Gonna try for ebay first, but I have my eye on some other sites if that doesn't work. Since I've got a pretty tight budget right now, I'm trying to get the ever-sought "more for less". In addition to the camera (and largely because of things I've read here) I'm planning on getting an anamorphic lens, as I've always wanted to shoot widescreen.

All this stuff is for the feature I'm making over the summer (there's more info on my website, if you care).

I do have a question though. Should I buy a mic? While I'm comfortable with video, I know almost nothing about microphones/sound/that kinda stuff. Is the mic on the GL2 up to snuff? If I buy, is there something under $500 that'd be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Ken Tanaka
February 3rd, 2004, 12:38 AM
Welcome, Chris!

First, I urge you to reconsider trying to buy a GL2 from eBay. eBay's OK for accessories but it's become an absolute snake pit for higher end electronic gear.

I further urge you to consider buying from a reputable dealer, either one of our sponsors (http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php) or another good dealer. It's worth saving a little longer to get a new, fully-warranted product that you will enjoy longer.

Just can't wait? Browse through our Classsifieds section (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16). There's almost always a GL2 for sale there. Look closely at sellers with high post counts and look at some of their posts to guage their seriousness.

As to your mic question, if you really plan to produce a serious feature you will almost certainly need supplemental audio gear particularly if it's a dramatic feature.

But the first item on your agenda, in my opinion, should be to learn to use your GL2 well for imaging. Composition, controlled camera handling and movement, etc. are skills that will take time and practice. In the process you will get a good feeling for what the onboard mic is, and is not, capable of handling well.

Good luck!

Chris Roberts
February 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Shoot, just wrote a long response and accidently deleted it... Let's see if I can reconstruct this...

I looked into the e-bay stuff further, and yeah, didn't seem too absolute. Guess I just wasn't thinking clearly last night. Or whatever. Anyways, I keep looking for the cheapest price because I want to make sure I can pay for other equipment as well. See, the thing is saving a little longer doesn't enter the picture. In order to buy a camera, I'm going to have to borrow money from my parents (I'm only 19, btw) and pay them back over the summer. I don't have nearly enough right now. It's not a good set-up, I know, but I don't have much choice if I want to start filming this summer. I wish I had more time, but the opportunity to make this sort of crept up on me, and while pre-production is going fine, I'm desperately trying to get eqiupment together to shoot it come summer.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to have a lot of time after buying the camera to determine shooting and speaker capabilities, and then buy a mic. I'm going to have to buy a mic around the same time as the camera. Again, not the most favorable situation. And so since I know nothing of sound equipment, as I said, I was asking for suggestions (ie, best you can get for near $500).

Also, what do you think of this: http://royalcamera.com/cangl2digcam.html? Reputable?

Thanks again.

Ken Tanaka
February 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
Always check ResellerRatings.com before buying from an unfamiliar merchant. Royal's ratings, and particularly the customer comments, don't look too good (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_info.pl?seller_id=1895) and that price is just a bit "too good". The remarks portray the typical slimey NY box shop that baits with low prices then turns on the hard-sell for overpriced junky accessories. Such shops prey on those unfamiliar with such tactics. Personally, I'd recommend avoiding them like the plague.

There are many mics within a $500 price range. Selection involves your expected application. That is, what type of work and setups will you anticipate? Will you be using a boom? Will the mic be camera-mounted? Would a lavalier (on-talent) mic be more appropriate? Etc. Browse through our "Now Hear This" forum to get a better idea of the general subject. That's a good place to also pose this question.

Chris Platt
February 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Chris

I would check out these reviews of Royal Camera before you think about shopping there.

http://bizrate.lycos.com/ratings_guide/cust_reviews__mid--31276.html

Not entirely complimentary....and I doubt you would ever receive a GL2 (U.S. OR Grey market) from them at the price they are quoting.

I recently bought a GL2. After months hunting around on Ebay and checking out what turned out to be dodgy online retailers, I eventually ended up at EVS. Basically, if something seems too cheap to be true...it probably isn't (true).

Chris Roberts
February 3rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Thank you both for the info. I know about as much about buying stuff online as I do sound equipment... I was already skeptical about that place, thanks for proving me right, and for that website. Good to know, good to know.

Oh, and thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at the other forum, as I don't even know what you're talking about with the "lavalier".

I guess if I think of anything else GL2 related, I'll just post it here then. Let's see... I think that's all. Um... yeah. No harm in saying thanks a third time, so I will. Thanks.