View Full Version : water damage info

Josh Jones
February 18th, 2004, 01:02 AM
I was hoping to hear from others in the GL2 world that have dealt with canon and the water damage scenario.
I am wondering what i should expect from canon. I sort of feel as if i'm at canon's mercy once i drop it in the mail.
Expecting not much warranty help, i fear recieving the 'estimate' that they'll send.

Any info\experience on the subject would be sooo helpful.

...thanks.

Frank Granovski
February 18th, 2004, 01:48 AM
What do you mean by water damage? Rain, too much moisture; or did it actually get drowned? If it didn't get drowned, then let it sit in a dry, warm place for a few days.

Ken Tanaka
February 18th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Frank's advice is good; if the camera is still wet let the camera fully dry and then see what the situation is.

But if the camera has taken a real drubbing and turns out to be inoperable be prepared for a total loss.

Josh Jones
February 18th, 2004, 01:25 PM
My GL2 ran excellent for three months. Exactly zero abuse. My wife uses four letter words when talking about 'the other girl'.
Long story short, I used it in a misty waterfall atmosphere for 90 seconds or so. Everything was protected except for the battery end. After noticing a thin blanket of mist, I promptly powered it down,removed the battery,dried it off, and within ten minutes was inside room temp. environment. Next day it was unresponive to every power source.I then waited four days and nothing. By nothing, I mean I put a stethascope on it and tried all power sources and cycled the power buttons in all directions and it won't even make a sound. I've done this at least twice a week since then.
If the worst case scenario unfolds, I was wondering what part of the cam is the culprit. Or is it just the entire electrical system in general that gets destroyed. Couldn't it be retired as a parts cam? Is there anywhere you can get the equivelant of a GL2 blueprint?

Your veteran savy and guidance is priceless. MUCH THANKS.

Ken Tanaka
February 18th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Well that does not sound as bad as it could be. You may have simply shorted a board or blown a fuse. No, there's no available "blueprint" for the camera and there's nothing user-serviceable in there.

Pack it up and send it to Canon Service. This may be a relatively simple and inexpensive repair.

While you're waiting for it's return it might be a good time to take "the other girl" to dinner.

Josh Jones
February 19th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks a lot Ken.
Whats the ball park time on a roundtrip to Canon?

...much thanks

Ken Tanaka
February 19th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I don't really know, never having sent a camera to Canon for service. I have seen others post turn-around times in the 2-3 week range but I'm sure this is variable.

Mark A. Billings
February 21st, 2004, 06:10 PM
I sent out my GL2 for service and it was returned to me (from the N.J. factory) within 10 days, that is round trip.

Mark