View Full Version : Which settings for a "broadcast sports" look?

Ming Dong
February 22nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Instead of the "film" look, I am trying to achieve the "broadcast sports" look. (i.e. Baseball, Football, Hockey....)

Any suggestions?

Ken Tanaka
February 22nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Define "broadcast sports look".

Ming Dong
February 22nd, 2004, 01:05 PM
I'm no expert, but I would characterize the look as sharp, bright, and saturated, while still maintaining good black level detail.

Watch any professional sports (football, tennis, hockey) television broadcast to see exactly what I mean.

Ken Tanaka
February 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
I think you actually just answered your question while defining the "look" you want to achieve. All of those characteristics are accessible from the GL2's menus and controls. Brightness, of course, is controlled through basic exposure management.

Joe Lloyd
February 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
To me it just looks like video, but in the case of hockey with normally a real poor white balance :P

Rob Belics
February 24th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I don't know how you would call it a "look". If you think about it, all those sports are usually played in a large green field in a bright sun. Hockey is the exception but is a large open area with bright lights that might as well be the sun.

What you see is a video camera pointing at them. You have a video camera so just point it at it and you have "the look".

Broadcasters, too, don't make any changes to the cameras to achieve any such look so what is there to do?