View Full Version : spy camera > xm2 av input?

Tyron Francis
February 22nd, 2004, 04:24 PM
hello, does anyone know how easy it would be to conect a 'spy' camera (the little cheap pinhole type) to the xm2?
the guy in the shop said it is possible but didnt elaborate and would have knocked me over with tech jargon anyways!

thanks
ron

Patrick MCMurray
February 23rd, 2004, 01:57 AM
it should be real easy if it one with a composite out. plug in your av cord to xm, get a female to female adapter plug to spy-cam. turn on xm in vcr mode. am i missing a step? i havnt done analog in on my gl yet.

ive been thinking about a similar project. a friend found at a pawn shop probably the first home video cam ever. no battery, no vtr. it was meant to plug in the wall, plug in your vcr, and keep you on a three foot teather. one of these days... were gonna tape that thing to the under side of my Bronco, run a cord to my gl2 safely in the cab, and go thrashin off-road. keep aiming at bushes and rocks till theres no cam left.

Tyron Francis
February 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
thanks, the cams i have seen have 3 thin wires at the end, what kind of female to female adapter would i need? would i use the cable that comes with the xm2, connecting the spy cam up to the yellow, white, red?here are some tech details of the cam i have looked at:

Ultra Miniature CMOS B&W Camera

Using the latest 4th generation of CMOS image sensors has enabled the creation of these cameras that are no bigger than the lenses! At 240 TV lines the resolution is similar to VHS. Two lens options are available: PH86T has a standard 3.6mm 92° wide-angle lens and PH87U has a 50° pin-hole lens that can “see" through a 2mm hole.
Incredibly small - only 15mm square
Low current consumption - will run on a PP3 for up to 5 hours
Standard video output - use on your normal TV and VCR
Low light capability - ideal for surveillance
Specifications:
Image sensor:
¼in B&W CMOS
Effective pixels:
288(H) x 352(V)
Resolution:
240 TV lines
Shutter speed:
1/50 to 1/6,000
Sensitivity:
0.5lux / f1.4
Power supply:
9 to 12Vdc, 20mA max
Dimensions:
14x14mm (excluding lugs)
Depth:
pinhole 14mm; std 22mm
Weight:
15g
Wiring
Red:
+ve
Black:
Common Gnd
Yellow:
Video out

Patrick MCMurray
February 23rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
oh,... no plugs at all? just exposed wires? youll have to solder ends on your self < or find some one more technically inclined than yourself >. you can bypass the av cable that came with the cam and (maybe) find the same kind of modefied mini-jack plug. if you cant find the plug on its own, you can buy a replacement cord< same as the one you have > nad butcher it. good luck!

Tyron Francis
February 23rd, 2004, 04:44 PM
thanks, i was hoping it would be as easy as you make it sound!
i am a whiz with ready made electronics (cameras etc) but know nowt about diy electronics.
i think i will teach myself some, surely it will be handy.

Andrew Hogan
February 23rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
I bought a "lipstick cam" and the pic qual is quite good and is Full Colour (spelt: color in USA). I have mounted it to my MTN bike helmet adjust the focus to about 2 metres and then blast downhills. however as it goes into the camera while in VCR mode you don't have any Image Stabilising (watch my footage and get motion sickness after a while).

Out of this lipstick cam there is only two cables. (there isn't a mic in this cam either but it had the best image quality). There is a video wire with a BNC connection (so you need a BNC to RCA adapter) then plug that into you XM2 Yellow cable. The second wire is for Power so this needs to be attached to a 12volt 1.3ah rechargeable battery.

In the camera setup you may need to change from firewire in to AV in or something like that. (its been a while since using it)