View Full Version : Extra accessory to mount external mic?

Rob Zeigler
February 22nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
Hey all,

I've got my heart set on a Beachtek DXA-4P for an AT897 but was wondering if there was any other accessory available to mount the mic atop the GL2 when a boom is not an option? In case there was only one operator, for example.

I understand the MA300 has the optional "mic holder" attached to it's side but like I said, after some research I've gotten my heart set on the DXA-4P.

Ideally the AT897 would come with something that could plug into the accessory shoe.

Any insight? Thanks all.

Ken Tanaka
February 22nd, 2004, 11:28 PM
The Mini Rover (http://www.videosmith.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=support&cart_id=) is a popular gizmo for that function.

Rob Zeigler
February 23rd, 2004, 01:08 AM
Thanks Ken!

Robin Davies-Rollinson
February 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
I've got the BeachTek box and I use a BEYER EA86 SHOCK MOUNT which sits in the hot shoe on top of the camera.

http://www.ffilmiau-fflur.co.uk/Arri%20matte%20box.htm

Sorry if the file is a bit large - I'll have to get round to re-sizing them.

Rob Zeigler
February 23rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Robin,

Not to get too off topic, but that is a HELL of a setup. I don't know if I've seen that kind of GL2/XM2 setup before. What do you use it for?

Graham Bernard
February 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Ah, the igeniousness of us Brits . . .love it love it love it .. Tell me, I do love that eyepiece "glove" .. . now where did you get it? It looks like the thing I've been after .. . Grazie.

.. oh .. . did I say I loved your setup?!?!?!

Robin Davies-Rollinson
February 24th, 2004, 01:31 AM
It's an Arri matte box that I used to use on film cameras. I had the adapter plate made up for me in the BBC workshops here in Wales. It uses 3" x 4" filters - great for grads etc.
The light-shielding properties are excellent since the bellows can be pulled out quite a way (depending on focal length of lens.)
As for the eye-muff, it's just a suede/foam sweat absorber that is put into rental kit (I was using a Digibeta DSR790) as part of good customer care!
My camera is used for docs, mini-dramas and corporate work. People tend to forget it's mini-DV once they've seen the pictures.
My philosophy is that if you shoot and light professionally, you can make mini-dv far more acceptable :-)

Robin.

Joe Lloyd
February 24th, 2004, 02:35 PM
I must have one of those.............

Now if only I had any talent to make that adapter plate up....