View Full Version : Sennheiser 416 - do I need the k6 power module

Jay Staya
February 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Hi guys, I'm a little confused with regards to this mic I'm thinking of buying.
Will a sennheiser k6 power module be sufficient to power this mic or do I have to look a an external supply like a beachtek.

Also what type of videoing is this mic suitable for (i'm buying it at a bargain price secondhand)

Ken Tanaka
February 26th, 2004, 12:10 AM
No, the Sennheiser MKH416 is strictly a 48v phantom-powered microphone. The K6 power module is only used for the ME series (ex: ME66, ME67, ME64). With the GL2 you will need to use the Beachtek DXA-4P, or a preamp, to deliver phantom power to the MKH416.

The MKH416 is a pro-grade supercardiod / lobar mic that delivers outstanding sound, particularly voices, in skilled hands. Honestly, it might be misapplied overkill for on-camera use. But if you're able to buy it for a substantial discount from it's $1,000US street price, why not?!

I've recently completed a brief comparative article on the 416 which will be featured on this site soon.

Jay Staya
February 26th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Ken, thankyou for your reply. I look forward to reading your review about the mic.

Ken Tanaka
February 26th, 2004, 11:26 AM
No sooner said than DONE! This article is now available. (http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/audio/tanaka2.php)