View Full Version : gl2 footage looks red in low light

Alex Maldonado
March 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM
hey there everyone i'm a newbie to both the world of video and this forum.

just got a gl2 and was shooting some stuff, and when i am in even semi low light areas, all my footage has a very very red tint to it. i am not wanting it to lok perfect or anything, and i expect it to be a bit dark. but why red? where is that coming from?

i just pulled the camera out of the box and started shooting, have not changed any settings. any suggestions?

thanks

Rob Wilson
March 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Alex, sounds like you need to white balance. What was the source of the available light?

Alex Maldonado
March 9th, 2004, 10:06 AM
one time it was outside and it was just starting to be evening time.

the other was inside in just low room lighting.

what surprises me is that i would have to manually adjust anything, i want the camera to do most of the thinking.

granted as i "mature" and gain more experience i'll appreciate all the perks and tweaks more, but for now i want it to know i'm an idiot. :)

Peter Moore
March 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM
I think it just has something to do with the wavelength of Red as opposed to other colors that causes it to be dominant in low light. I find that in every digital camera I've ever owned (cheap still, Gl2, and Digital Rebel still). You can color correct in post of course.

As for wanting the camera to think for you, you can always think better than the camera. Learn to use the manual settings and it will pay off big time.

Ming Dong
March 9th, 2004, 12:27 PM
The easiest way to use your GL2 is to select the "Easy Recording" mode. This allows the camera to handle all the settings automatically.

When you are in Easy Recording mode, you should see a green box in the upper left corner of your display (when the camera is on of course)

You select Easy Recording mode with the Program Selector switch. See pg 52 (GL2 manual) for additional information.

Alex Maldonado
March 9th, 2004, 01:31 PM
i have not had a chance to try and reshoot in the same conditions, but i did check and the camera is and was in easy recording mode... so i'll see if the white balace helps.

Don Palomaki
March 10th, 2004, 05:31 AM
White balance works by adjusting the gain of the three colors to make them average out to white. In poor light there may not be enough remaining gain available in the B & G curcuits after boosting the signal to a reasonable overall exoposure, to achieve true white balance, thus the red cast.