View Full Version : Power consumption

Kevin Kimmell
March 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Hi.

From reading the powering description on MCE's site, I'm a bit confused. It says that it "can" recharge from the camera's battery.

What I'm wondering is how this is controlled. I'd obviously rather it uses it's own juice down to a certail level before it states pulling from my GL2's power source.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Jason Opat
March 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Actually cameras do not provide power via the firewire port as they are 4 PIN connections. Only 6Pin connections built into a system provide power externally. The QuickStream DV has its own built in Lithiom Ion battery. It can last for a up to 90 minutes in continuos record. We also offer a small external battery that adds an additional 3.5 hours to the record process. QuickStream DV also takes external power via the AC adapter.

The Battery charges when it is connected to a system with a a built in 6 Pin Firewire port or when it is plugged into the AC adapter.

Emilio Olivares
March 14th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Hello Kevin, I had the exact same question as you, was kinda dissapointed by this answer. I'd hate having more batteries to worry about.

Jsaon: I have a battery belt for my on camera light, since the Quickstream DV takes 6 to 18V DC Input it should work (am I right?). But I only have a cigarette style connector left, any ideas on how I could plug it in??? Also, what is the power consumption, how many watts or amp-hours are we talking about?

What is everybody else doing for power on the QS? Did you guys get the quickstream battery pack?

Thanks for the info!
emilio
mty,mexico

Corey Sturmer
March 14th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Jason, I checked out the MCE website and I was very happy with the documentation on your company's product. It seems so much better and cheaper than all the rest. However, 1100 dollars is still a bit expensive for the convenience it gives to me. Most importantly, the 100 dollar price tag on that extra battery. The pro's do not outweigh the con's at this juncture and at that price. Do you think the prices will have gone down at all by june/july/august? Or will there be third party batteries I may be able to buy?

Kevin Kimmell
March 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
You should be able to use any of a wide variety of 3rd party batteries since the device can accept a range of voltages. Chances are, if you've got some sort of power device, it can power the unit.

Corey Sturmer
March 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM
What kind of pack could I buy for this? What kind of battery would let me plug into the device?

Jason Opat
March 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM
The QuickStream DV accepts 12Volt DC power. Many are adapting it down to work with thier battery belts. The unit has its own Lithium Ion battery built in. The external battery mounts directly below the device and adds an additional 3.5 hours of continuous recording. We also supply an external AC adapter as well.

Rafal Krolik
October 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Jason

Off topic, but I think in your signature, you mean to say Productions and not Producitons. Just a "c" and "t" flip.

Guillaume Tremblay
July 1st, 2005, 08:20 PM
Hello everyone, I'm from Quebec and I bought a Quickstream 360 that works very well except for the build-in battery. I'm just wondering if it's possible to change the battery when it's dead. The problem is I forgot to turn off MASTER button when I wasn't using it. So, don't make the same mistake.

Regards,

Guillaume

Daniel Kohl
July 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Why can't you just re-charge it?

Guillaume Tremblay
July 5th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Because the battery don't recharge anymore. I have another Quickstream DV that is exactly the same and I can recharge it easily.

Daniel Kohl
July 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I hate to say it Guillaume,

But I would bet that it is more likely that the charging part of the Quickstream is not working and not that the battery is bad.

I would send it back to MCE.

If that is not an option then I would suggest running the Quickstream from an external battery pack.

Even you could get the battery pack out of the Quickstream, it would be hard to find a replacement.

How exactly do you think you killed the battery? Did you store it for a long time without turning the master power switch off? If so that should not damage the unit. But the Quickstream-like device (Citidisk) I tested way back also had a problem with it's internal charger. That is why I am guessing that that is the problem.

Good luck.