View Full Version : Discernable image difference with filter price?

Jan Jacobson
March 15th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there is a difference one can see between the high end polarizers at about $100/$150 and a Tiffin polarizer at $30? Does multi-coating help significantly? Can the differences be seen given the constraints of the GL-2 and the mpeg compression?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jeff Donald
March 15th, 2004, 02:43 PM
What mpeg compression?

Jan Jacobson
March 15th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I assumed that the GL-2 used mpeg to compress the Mini-DV sufficiently to give reasonable tape time.

But my main question was whether the camera quality of the L-2 was high enough to make the investment in the more expensive filters worthwhilOr would the difference not be seen unless I was using a broadcast camera?

I liked your site and the photos. Too bad you were not here today as there were enough swallows overhead to fill the sky and they were forming a dense cloud of birds as they came down to drink from the Institute's pond.

One of the reasons for the original post was that I needed a polarizer and wondered which one?

Jeff Donald
March 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Get the best you can afford. Cheap filters will degrade a cheap lens and the Canon GL2 uses the better Canon "L" series glass. I've had students buy cheap polarizing filters and the filters did nothing. I would look a step above Tiffen, to the Nikor filters, Hoya SMC, B + W, and Heliopan. The next lower tier would include Cokin, and some of the other camera manufactures and Hoya's next lower grade. After those are the Tiffens etc. and finally the Quantaray (Ritz) and other no name filters. UV's are the same, buy the better grades if you can.

Jan Jacobson
March 15th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the data. I knew that the free market usually enforces at least some semblance of value/price correlations but didn't know if the MiniDV format could show the difference.

Did your students use the GL-2 or where they still photo studnets?

Jeff Donald
March 15th, 2004, 03:58 PM
I have both this semester. I'm teaching an intro video production class and several photo classes. My students have access to a variety of cameras, including GL1's, XL1's and some Sony's. Several students have their own cameras.

Bill Ball
March 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM
I bought a set of Tiffen filters for my GL2: UV, circular polarizer, and Black Diffusion 1. I was disappointed with the amount of lens flare the the UV filter picks up (with the standard lens hood on). Of course the polarizer doesnt have this problem. I think I will discard the Tiffen UV and buy a better multicoated one before keeping one on the lens as a protection filter. I havent played much with the diffusion filter yet but the image will pick up the dot pattern from the filter if you go full wide (I knew this ahead of time).

Bill Ball
March 18th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Oops I meant to write that the image will pick up the dot pattern from the black diffusion filter if you focus too short. (Still useful to soften up a face if you watch the focus).