View Full Version : Mac OS 10.3.3 Available

Jeff Donald
March 16th, 2004, 08:31 AM
The update is available by clicking on Software Update in the Apple Menu or System Preferences. Highlight the update and choose download (not install) and the download will start. It is also available as a stand alone .dmg here (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosxupdate_10_3_3.html). It is 68 MB.

Key enhancements include:
- network volumes are now available in the Finder sidebar and Desktop for convenient access
- improved file sharing and directory services for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
- improved PostScript and USB printing
- updated Disk Utility, DVD Player, Image Capture, Mail and Safari applications
- additional support for FireWire and USB devices
- improved compatibility for third party applications
- previous standalone security updates and Bluetooth Update 1.5

Jeff Donald
March 16th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Mail and Safari are noticeably improved on slower machines. Improvements are less apparent on dual processor (at least for me). I agree, Ted, I like the network volumes appearing on the desktop etc.

Lisa Sedlak
March 16th, 2004, 02:20 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Mail and Safari are noticeably improved on slower machines. Improvements are less apparent on dual processor (at least for me). I agree, Ted, I like the network volumes appearing on the desktop etc. -->>>

Interesting. Safari kept crashing on me today after the update.

Jeff Donald
March 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Lisa, do you have any third party Safari enhancers installed (hacks that change appearance, icons, etc.)?

Did you install from the Software Updater or download the disk image? If you installed over the internet, try installing again with a downloaded version. Repair permissions after installing. I noticed a new set of permissions is being used with this update.

Kirk Messner
March 16th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Jeff,

Any idea what the difference is between the 10.3.3 Update available March 15th, and the 10.3.3 "Combined" Update available March 16th ?

Kirk

Ted Springer
March 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
I think the "combined" update will update 10.3.0 all the way to 10.3.3 without having to update several times to get to the same place. I am seriously considering 10.3 for my home now.

Jeff Donald
March 16th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Yes, Ted is correct. The combo update also includes all the security updates, which the regular update does not. I prefer to install the combo update, seems to fix more problems. You can run an update over, so if your regular update seems buggy, then do the combo.