View Full Version : quality difference?

Ryan McCrary
March 22nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
I was wondering if I were to do a 2 camera shoot with a GL2 and another camera which would perhaps be an Elura 50 or a ZR series camera, what the quality difference would be from shot to shot. How much worse would the video from the single chip cam look?

Thanks,
Ryan

Joe Lloyd
March 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
I've done with with the GL2 and the ZR40 and altho I don't remember the characteristics, there was a noticable difference in the footage.

Ken Tanaka
March 22nd, 2004, 04:18 PM
Ryan,
The difference in shots will be quite obvious, even to semi-conscious viewers.

If you cannot get a 2nd GL2 (or comparable camera) you might be better off simply shooting with two single-chippers like that ZR.

Don Palomaki
March 22nd, 2004, 04:28 PM
There are differences. Shooting in poor light will make it painfully obvious. In good light they will be less, and you may be able to compensate enough in post so that average viewer will not notice, especailly if the camera angles are different and the program material is otherwise interesting

Cliff Elliott
March 23rd, 2004, 01:29 AM
Ryan, I have an XM2 and a Panasonic NVDX100 camera which is also a three chip camera but is now five years old, I have recentky shot a school concert and a small theatre play using both cameras.

I set the NVDX100 up as a contiuous wide shot and used the XM2 to shoot continous medium to close up shots.

I always set the white balance to manual on both cameras.

In post I edit using a combination of the wide and close up shots to stitch together a final production.

The end result on both projects was a seamles cut from shot to shot that were very close in look, I personaly could pick some differences but when shown to other people who I later asked if they could see a difference between the scenes answered no.

So my advise, unless it is for commercial television or big screen release, go for it.

Regards, Cliff Elliott