View Full Version : Multicam Frame Size Error

Dana Salsbury
May 2nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
I can't get FCP Multicam to work due to a frame size error. One clip is 1920 x 1080 and the other clip is 1440 x 1080. They are both AVCHD. Is there anything I can do?

Jun Na
May 3rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I have the same problem. working on clips from HDV (1440 x 1080) and AVCHD (1920 x 1080) in multi-cam sequence.

Dana Salsbury
May 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
It seems like there should be a way to downconvert the field settings so multicam would see them as identical.

Jun Na
May 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
I can transcode AVCHD to .mov using 10-bit CineForm Intermediate and resize the frame size to see if it works in multi-cam sequence.

Robert Lane
May 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Don't confuse Mulit-cam for multi-format in a single timeline.

Multi-cam in FCP assumes you're using the same format/codec type between inputs allowing it to switch easily from one input to another. Only a hardware switcher with format-cross conversion will allow differing inputs to be homogenized into a single format.

It's best to make your mis-matched frame size conversions prior to a multi-cam session, this will eliminate the problem.

Dana Salsbury
May 3rd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Robert,

>It's best to make your mis-matched frame size conversions prior to a multi-cam session, this will eliminate the problem.

Is this possible without exporting and importing? Can I change the setting on the clip?

Robert Lane
May 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
The simplest method is to use Log & Transfer and transcode one frame size to match the other during ingest; which way to go is entirely up to you since you won't see any difference in image quality between the two.

Jun Na
May 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I did transcode AVCHD and resize it to 1440 using Apple Intermediate Codec - which I used for HDV clip. Now it works great in multi-cam sequence. All the clips should be the same size/codec in multi-cam sequence. Thanks!