View Full Version : Another GL2 + audio query

Ken Snow
March 24th, 2004, 12:02 PM
I have been searching around the forums to try to figure out this audio stuff. Let me tell you, it can get pretty confusing for someone who has no background in it like myself!

I know the subject probably has been beaten to death in many different ways, but I wanted to clarify my thoughts on setting up an AT-897 with my GL-2. Money is an issue, since all I have for the rest of the semester here is my tax return check I just got (500 bucks). So I figured I may be able to get a XLR to 1/8th plug to feed directly into my GL-2. Would this produce good audio? I was eventually going to upgrade to a MA-300 or similar, but since the budget is a little tight until the summer I hoped this would get me by until then.

I was bored and made a little visual aid to my plan ;)

https://prod.campuscruiser.com/cruiser/myksc/ksnow/gl2audio.html

Steve Luhr
March 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Ken, I hope so, I just bought the azden that people tout for low budget audio and will get the adaptor from radioshack. I eventually will get the ma300 as well. I'll let you know once I have it up and running. Steve

Rob Wilson
March 25th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Ken,

Sure, you should be fine with the setup you've picked. As long as you keep the unbalanced runs short and away from protential sources of interference there should be no problem. Keep in mind that a mic that long on a hot shoe will likely be in frame when wide, especially if you use (and you should if outside) a windscreen.

Ken Snow
March 25th, 2004, 04:52 PM
What do you suggest I do about the length of the boom mic? I was under the impression that the AT 897 as well as the ME 66 were relatively short boom mics. Would it be possible to slide the mic back far enough on the top of the GL2 to be out of the frame?

My ultimate issue is to either buy a Glidecam 2000 or a boom mic right now, so im trying to figure out if the audio setup would work well and under budget. The worst thing would be to buy the mic and such, run out of money, and then realize that I need something else after I run out of money.

Pete Bauer
March 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Ken,

I just bought my first "real" microphone to use with my GL2 -- an AT897. I'm also new to audio-for-video, but I can tell I am going to LOVE using this mic. Experienced audio folks have raved about it here, comparing it to mics several times its price. I'd originally been looking at the Senn ME-66, but seeing how much more expensive it is along with people commenting that it was "too hot" for many uses, I went with the apparently universally lauded AT.

Atop a $29 Beyerdynamic EA-86 mount in the hotshoe, the AT897 does NOT intrude into the field of view even when using the 0.7 WD-58 adapter at max wide angle. BTW, some audiophiles don't like the Beyer mount, but for $29 I think I got more than my money's worth...and for voice-overs, I just screw the AT/Beyer onto a cheap old tripod at the end of a 25 foot XLR cable well away from the camera, whirring computer, etc and get clean voice with utter silence between sentences!

This may bust your budget, but Brian at Zotz convinced me to not spend $369 on the fancy new Beachtek DXA8 (he has serious personal bias against anything Beachtek), and instead to buy a much cheaper, basic $145 Sign Video XLRpro. As others at DVInfo have reported, the XLRpro's main drawback is that mounted under the camera, the gain knobs are right in the way of the heel of your right hand. However, it does come with a robust metal belt clip and a 3 or 4 foot mini-to-mini extension cable. So when I hand-hold the camera, I'll put the XLRpro on my belt. In any case, I think Brian gave me good advice.

All that XLR stuff said, there was a post not long ago with a link to a page on the Shure web site that shows in detail how to make an XLR-to-mini adapter for a few bucks in parts. Would require a minimal amount of soldering, but it looked like even a fumble-fingers like me could do it if I chose to.

All this is just a novices opinion but I hope it helps.

Andrew Gardener
March 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Hi
I've just brought a SignVideo XLR Pro ,it comes with a belt clip & an extension cable as well.They were excellent to deal with i had my order in 4 days,and i live in the UK.I also brought thier Zoom commander pro.
My mics turned up yesterday AT835b & AT4073a(i have to get a phantom power supply for this) and Rycote windshield system.I could do with getting a hot shoe mount to stick the mics on the cam(when i have nobody to hold the mic)Just got a couple of XLR cables as well.Boom pole will probably be next purchase(does it ever end).
Andy

Marco Leavitt
March 26th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Andrew how do you like that Zoom Commander? Their controllers are quite a bit cheaper than most of the other products out there, but I don't know of anyone who has purchased one.

Bob Harotunian
March 26th, 2004, 10:13 AM
"Brian at Zotz convinced me to not spend $369 on the fancy new Beachtek DXA8 (he has serious personal bias against anything Beachtek)"

Peter,

Do you know any more about his bias? I have been using the BeachTek DXA-4P for our GL2s and it is a permanent fixture.