View Full Version : How do they?

John Cash
May 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
How do they make a subject or object in a Video clip be colored but the rest of the clip (background) is in black and white?
Its easy to do with a still photo in photoshop.......................but how do you or what filters /thrid party software is needed for video?

Thanks

Mitchell Lewis
May 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
They use the 3-way Color Corrector. There's a "twirl-down arrow" at the bottom of it, that allows you to set a threshold to select only one color and make everything else black and white.

John Cash
May 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks Mitchell. I cant wait to try it out

Mitchell Lewis
May 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I tried finding a online tutorial via Google search, but I didn't have any luck. I think they call it "replace color" or something like that.

What you're doing is using the 3-way color corrector to single out a color to enhance/change it. There's a setting you can use in the process that will turn everything else b&w to more easily show you the color your selecting. I think the trick is that you just leave this view setting turned on so it gives you the effect you want.

A friend of mine showed me how to do this a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty easy "if" you have a color that stands out from the others. (if it doesn't you can duplicate the layer and mask the area you want to isolate.

Hope that all makes sense! :)

Mitchell Lewis
May 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Found one.....

Color Correction/Finishing in FCP 4 (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/cc_legal_fcp4.html)

It's for FCP4.0, but most of it still applies. Scroll down to were it says "Secondary Color Correction".

Vito DeFilippo
May 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Search google for "the pleasantville effect" and you'll find tutorials.