View Full Version : snapping

Brian Luce
May 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I googled this but can't find the answer. If you have several clips on a timeline, can you snap them together in one command? or do you have to snap them one at a time?

Andy Mees
May 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
You mean a "Close All Gaps" command Brian? Nope, there isn't one :-( Its been requested before but Apple need to see a tidal wave of strong opinion on a feature before they ever react. If this is something you want then head over to their product feedback page and make your voice politely heard.

Apple - Final Cut Pro - Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html)

Mitchell Lewis
May 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
You can click the space between the clips and press the Delete key on your keyboard. But sometimes that doesn't even work.

Yeah, it would be nice is there was a way to remove the gaps.

Bill Davis
May 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Yes you can do it in about 10 seconds, it's not single-key easy, but it's also not difficult. It's also dependent on what else is going on in your timeline.

For example, people have said that clicking the space and hitting return doesn't always close the gap. It doesn't work IF there's something on another track - like audio - that creates a logical editing conflict.

(Uh, mr editor? I get you want to move the video - but what do you want to do with all the other related tracks? You're moving one element (video) in an orchestrated group of elements (audio, video, title overlays, whatever) So what's up?)

The 10 second solution is to create a new bin. Use the single track selection arrow to select all the separate clips you want to close up. Then drag copies of your clips into the new bin. Then hit backspace to delete them off the timeline. Finally, grab them from that bin with a command A (select all) and drag them back onto the timeline as a single group without gaps.

Like I said, takes about 10 seconds and works no matter how many clips you're working with. It also preserves trim decisions, filters, etc.

Personally, I still like just holding down the delete key and clicking on gaps manually - but that's just me. YMMV.

Mitchell Lewis
May 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Be careful dragging them into a bin and then back into your timeline. I've never tried it but I'd be concerned that the bin will resort them into a different order than what they were on the timeline. But I'm guessing if you choose to sort the bin manually in icon view you'll be okay. Great idea Bill! :)