View Full Version : Corrupt .wav file

Dana Salsbury
May 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I've got a 481mb wave file that will not impor to FCP or play in QT. It was captured by a Zoom recorder ont the same SD card as many other clips that work fine. By the size of the file it seems everything is there, but it isn't working. Thoughts?

Christopher Drews
May 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Oh... I know this one. Simply Open .wav file in QuickTime Pro.
Click File > Save As > QuickTime.
This will make a QuickTime audio File.

This will import directly into FCP.

Not sure why this happens sometimes but that is my work-around.

-C

Dana Salsbury
May 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Thank Christopher,

I don't have QT Pro, but I tried it in some other apps. Compressor failed, saying it wasn't an audio file. Soundtrack Pro said it was 48,000 Hz, 16 bit with two channels, 481 MB, but only .03 seconds! It wouldn't play there either. iTunes calls it a Wav file, but won't play it either. Under time it says 'not available'.

Is this the kind of thing that you would get?

Robert Lane
May 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Dana,

If you have FCP installed on your system then you automatically have QT Pro as the installation of Final Cut automatically upgrades QT to the "pro" version.

Mitchell Lewis
May 20th, 2009, 09:14 AM
How do you have Compressor and not Quicktime Pro? If you have Compressor, that means you have Final Cut Studio, which means you have Quicktime Pro.

Open the file in Quicktime and type "command+E" and it will bring up the Export window. Choose "Sound to AIFF", then click the Options button and make sure the settings are for Linear PCM, 48.000 kHz. Hope that works! :)

Battle Vaughan
May 20th, 2009, 09:16 AM
It could be that you have a corrupted file allocation table in the card's directory...you might try a file recovery program. We use Lexar Image Rescue 3, which has a specific function for recovering .wav files, beside it's primary mission of recovering image files. It is available for purchase on their website, works a treat. If not, there are a number of other such programs...google "wav file recovery" for info.... hth .../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Dana Salsbury
May 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hmm...I just says Quicktime player, and I don't have an export option. QT Player brings it up, but does nothing when I hit play. Curious...

I'll look for a repair download and see what I can find.