View Full Version : special needs, conversion time for FCS2

Roddy Graeme
May 21st, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hi,

I am strongly considering the HD 6 as a budget stopgap camera because I need a CCD cam with good OIS to shoot sailboat racing without skew. Obviously this cam fits the bill except for workflow... I will consider the HM 100 but find it prohibitively expensive for now. Especially compared to the small Panny which will probably end up below 3k on the street.

BUT, I also need to produce very quick same day edits for my clients so I cant be batch converting files overnight. From this forum I see that conversion is possible with MPEG streamclip but no one has mentioned just how long it takes? Is it 1:1 or more? I have a 2.66 MBP with 2 gb RAM.

I would probably go to prores 422 1920. Does anyone know which program would do this best and fastest and HOW LONG it would take?? Would AIC be faster/better?

Also if any of you have any other ideas / advice about my needs, please feel free to chime in!!!

Thanks guys

Kaushik Parmar
May 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Hi,

I am strongly considering the HD 6 as a budget stopgap camera because I need a CCD cam with good OIS to shoot sailboat racing without skew. Obviously this cam fits the bill except for workflow... I will consider the HM 100 but find it prohibitively expensive for now. Especially compared to the small Panny which will probably end up below 3k on the street.

BUT, I also need to produce very quick same day edits for my clients so I cant be batch converting files overnight. From this forum I see that conversion is possible with MPEG streamclip but no one has mentioned just how long it takes? Is it 1:1 or more? I have a 2.66 MBP with 2 gb RAM.

I would probably go to prores 422 1920. Does anyone know which program would do this best and fastest and HOW LONG it would take?? Would AIC be faster/better?

Also if any of you have any other ideas / advice about my needs, please feel free to chime in!!!

Thanks guys

Yes, HM 100 would be expensive.

But I am afraid why you need to convert your RAW files? You can direct import in your Video Editing Software. I am proud owner of HD7, and never conver .TOD files in MPEG or anything.

I guess all major software recognized .TOD files. I am assuming HD6 is also has .TOD extantion like HD7.

Here is my profile in vimeo: Kaushik on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/user318721)

Kaushik

Roddy Graeme
May 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Thank you Kaushik,

I was under the impression that files had to be converted first. Do you or anyone else know what workflows can be used in FCP 6?

thanks