View Full Version : Rendering HD QuickTime files with alpha channels for Final Cut.

Scott David
May 22nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
We have been having issues with HD (1920x1080) QuickTime files with alpha channels not looking good in Final Cut. They look great both playing in AE and QuickTime player. However when we import them into Final Cut it appears as there is a field issue when we play the files back. When they are stilled they look fine… the problem only occurs when the are played back.

We have tried rendering uncompressed and animation compressed files from AE. We have also tried upper field first, lower field first and rendering them as frames and we are still getting the same problem.

Our sequence in Final cut is ProRes 422 HQ.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on.

Thanks

James Brill
May 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I would make sure in the render queue of After Effects that the frame rate is correct and not a rounded number like 30. Everytime I render out of AE I do this, in the render queue in the "Best Settings" row click best settings to open it's settings pane. Make sure the Frame Rate is the correct frame rate not the one below it which is usually defaulted at 30.00 for me. After that go to output module and click the first one in the row which for me is lossless. Double check in there that everything is the right frame rate as well.

In the past my frame rate has been right in the output module but not in my render settings for some reason and that gives me clunky motion. On top of that the render FCP is doing to get it to Pro Res from Animation could also have it changing the frame rate.