View Full Version : Expanding the canvas size

Sarah Moss
May 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hi, I am a multimedia artist building an interactive system. The content is cut in FCP6 and I am trying to build a canvas in the sequencer settings that is 5760x1080 pixels. FCP wont let me - I can get the sequence settings to remain at 4000x1080pxls but not larger. Can anyone tell me why this is so and what I can do to solve my problem? Many thanks.

Shaun Roemich
May 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the maximum size a sequence in FCP is 4000 pixels by 4000 pixels.

Benjamin Hill
May 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hi, I am a multimedia artist building an interactive system. The content is cut in FCP6 and I am trying to build a canvas in the sequencer settings that is 5760x1080 pixels. FCP wont let me - I can get the sequence settings to remain at 4000x1080pxls but not larger. Can anyone tell me why this is so and what I can do to solve my problem? Many thanks.

One possible solution is to alter your requirements and scale down your canvas to something that FCP will allow, while still retaining your desired aspect ratio.

Shaun Roemich
May 22nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sounds like this is for a multidisplay, like in a live sports venue, feeding 3 separate 1920 x 1080 monitors linked together.

Sarah Moss
May 22nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm currently completing a doctorate in computer science and as part of my practice based research project, I'm building an interactive panoramic art system. The HDV content is ready to be stitched into three x ten minute clips if I can make the canvas wide enough to hold my 360degree footage (the participant of the system can only see one section of the fullclip of each movie file as they navigate from let to right). The image is rear projected onto a cyc or displayed on a high definition digital display screen. Anyway, is it possible to build a canvas larger than previously mentioned. I need 5760x1080 or I revert to plan B. Plan B's are never quite as good. S

Mike Barber
May 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
I can get the sequence settings to remain at 4000x1080pxls but not larger. Can anyone tell me why this is so and what I can do to solve my problem?
My best guess as to why would be that FCP is oriented to editing film and television, ergo it expects to use standard framesizes and acts wonkey if you go too far outside the norm. This is just a guess.

Have you tried doing this in Motion? It might be a better tool for what you are trying to do.

Christopher Drews
May 23rd, 2009, 12:28 AM
Have you tried doing this in Motion? It might be a better tool for what you are trying to do.

I second that. You are in the wrong application. Look at Shake, After Effects and Motion.
-C

Sarah Moss
May 23rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
I am greatful for your opinions and will change course..many thanks. What a shame eh...:( bother!