View Full Version : Editing help for newby

Brian Federal
March 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM
I am editing a sequence that will have the name and title of the individual being interviewed show in the bottom third of the screen for 5 seconds when they begin to talk. Have been working in live type and the problem I am running into is that the color of the image behind the type varies from very dark to bright white and makes the type hard to read. Changing the type does not help that much. What I need to know is how do you create a small panel to be a layer between the background image and the Type. Can this be done with FCP or do I need a plug in. I see these animated panels with type on TV all the time. Thanks for your time and help.
Brian

Kevin Burnfield
March 27th, 2004, 10:57 AM
first, I'd Check the Livetype docs to make sure you have everything set up right.

But honestly, I would just do it in FCP and not worry about livetype.

You can add a background to the words if you want and that will cover the issue with the video background.

Depending on how you want to do it (whether it will have a background to it) and what sort of things you want it to do you can do all of it from within FCP and not have to use Livetype if you are having a problem with it.

check out this tutorial:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/basic_lower_third.html

the things you can do in addition are use a motion graphic to move that layer off to one side and slide it in when you want it and fade it out when you are done with it.

Brian Federal
March 28th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Thanks Kevin,
Thanks for the Ken Stone information.

Anyone with information on good home learning tools for FCP feel free to reply.
. Currently am taking a VTC FCP on cd and it has been quite helpful but as you know the FCP program is quite extensive and can be a little overwhelming for someone new to editing. Kudos to the folks that make this site a reality and thanks for all your hard work.
Brian

Kevin Burnfield
March 29th, 2004, 07:57 AM
That's a good start... there are lots of good books out there but it all depends on where your focus is as far as using FCP.

The problem is also at what level you are. Some of the books are hopelessly locked into the "just took it out of the box" mode so advanced or mid-level users can't get very much out of them.

Ken's site has a lot of great reviews of tutorials and books.

What is your focus as far as what you are using FCP for?

Joe Lloyd
March 29th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I like the advanced editing techniques book from peachpit. Although I wasn't a fan of the first peahpit FCP4 book.

Kevin Burnfield
March 29th, 2004, 08:17 PM
Well, there are a ton of books...

if you are getting into editing films I cannot recommend "Editing Techiques with Final Cut Pro" by Mike Wohl high enough. It's a great book that actually teaches editing first, then teaches FCP. Mike Wohl also wrote numerous sections of the official FCP books from Apple and has been involved in the development of the program and comes from a editorial background not a computer one.

If you are are just starting out on FCP I'd really have to recommend a video training. Starting out you get to see someone do it and watch how they do it.

You can pick up FCP 2 or 3 training tapes or DVDs off eBay or Half.com pretty cheap. The theory hasn't changed and being able to get that video jump start is worth it.

Also you can look around for the "PowerStart" cd's for FCP which are also video. They are nice starters with examples as well.

I'm a big believer in seeing people do stuff when you get started. When I was learning Lightwave 3D I watched tapes from 2 or 3 versions before what was out and learned a TON and learned faster then I ever could have from a book.

I've got all the PeachPit FCP 4 books and I have to say that they are good but probably not for a total newbie. The Advanced Editing and Finishing book is EXCELLENT especially the Color Correction section and it goes over Sountrack and Livetype as well.

Jerry Hofmann's got some good books and he's got a DVD out there too which I would recommend to new users as well. (can't remember what the name is but I'm sure Jerry has a site) Jerry's a brain and an half when it comes to FCP and he's got a real good teaching style. His FCP 4 book is good too but unfortunately most of it is below my level but I like having it as a reference.

Tom Wolsky's got his "FCP __ Editing Workshop" books that are good because they are step by step workshops that come with a lot of video for you to edit. I'd recommend his FCP 2 or 3 version of the books even for FCP 4. Again, the basics are the basics and you can pick them up really cheap and learn a lot .

Brian Federal
April 2nd, 2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks so much for all the help. The video/dvd education tools sound interesting. I will check it out.
Brian