View Full Version : Canon XL-H2- when?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Michael Galvan
November 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
I agree. Everything about the Canon XL H1S is fantastic, from build to image quality. I sure hope Canon delivers again!

I absolutely love my Canon XL H1S and the fantastic HD images it creates. All of my clients have found it's footage stunning and it has paid itself off over and over again already, so I am ready to buy if the next camera meets or exceeds our expectations.

Jim Martin
November 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Canon. You burst on the scene with the famous XL1. Everybody wanted one. Then as the other manufactures got going to play catchup the cry from your loyal diehard troups began chanting.

"Where's the XL2?" Out came the wishlists and the prophesy of how it will be. We waited with baited breath, couldnt sleep at night. Then, Drumroll, it's coming. Out poped a XL1s.
Umm we all said, "Looks a bit like the xl1" we thought. Canon assured it was a totally new camera. Only the paint was the same, but it's innards are entirely new. So we grabbed one, raved over it. Many said this is the xl2, but it's got a new name. We were still loyal Cannonites and hung in there with religious verver.

In the mean time we looked over our shoulders and saw Sony, and Panasonic and others leaping ahead and were breaking into HDV.

Were's the xl2, Surely as God made apples the xl2 hd version will be released at the next NAB. We waited, waited, and anticipated the new xl2 in hd. After a long gestation out poped another camera. They'd run out of red paint so used white. and gave birth to the xl2.
This what indie and ENG , pro's and wannabe pros were waiting for. A totally new camera Canon boomed again. The only thing that's not new is the microphone. We thought the only thing not new was it's SD. So we rushed out, bought one and found when we're in a media bunfight we were the only ones with a white camera and not hd capable.

So here we are again. The remenant, waiting for a revolutionary new super lens one inch chip daddy of em all canon hd camera. In reality so many I know have given up. The EX1 and EX3 have finally done it. All the loyal Canon users here are leaving or have left their Canon and embraced the EX1 and EX3, buying them in ones, twos and threes.

So I've had a xl1, xl1s and a xl2. I'm about to go to hd. I've been loyal to Canon for 10years, but it's time to stop waiting and look else where. I've been loyal to Canon all the way through. I even had a Super 8 Canon film camera once. It's nearly next year, I'll wait a bit longer, but not forever.

Patience young Skywalker....thoughts you control...dreams come true, soon they may

Yoda Martin

Nick Hiltgen
November 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Owen I don't know if you recal or not, but the xl-h1 came out just a year after the xl2 (I two was about to buy one and fortunately I had my vendor stop me and say, hey, are you sure want to buy an SD camera, see what happens by the end of the year, then the xl-h1 came out. Also it was the Second HDV camera to hit the market (well third both the z1u and the fx1 came out and it smoked both of them) it beat the hvx200 to shipping and edged out the the jvc-hd1u. Now, yes after that release they slowed things down again quite a bit, but I really don't believe its fair to say canon was late to the market with an HD camera. In fact, uh I mean, if you really want to split hairs, canon developed and released the 5d and 7d in the time it took red to announce, and change, and announce, (and change again) the scarlet.

The Ex-x are good cameras but let's not say that canon hasn't offered up suitable cameras, yes I want to see the next xl just as much (probably more) as any one else but Canon has actually really pushed things and delievered a lot of aspects that filmmakers and eng-ers want and for a multi-billion (maybe trillion?) dollar company to innovate that fast is pretty impressive.

Of course having said all of that, I think now a days it's probably silly to just stand by and wait for a camera from any specific manufacturer, I too have been in the canon camp for a while but if I was in the market for a better camera and the specs I was looking for were being offered by Sony I'd get the Sony. Camera's aren't supposed to badges that we wear they're supposed to be tools that we use... unless, uh, canon wants to sponser me then, ya know, uh, brand loyalty all the way...

Jim Martin
November 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Nick.....you're a poet

Jim Martin

Emmanuel Plakiotis
December 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
The latest rumors on the elusive camcorder is 12MP APS-CMOS sensor, support for EF and EF-S lenses, fully manual controls, shoot 720p/30/60 and 1080p/24/30/60 to 56Mbit/s MPEG-4, and sporting a $8000 price tag.
They look pretty reasonable to me, although I really cannot understand why to utilize such a large sensor if they have to skip lines for HD, unless of course they can do full resolution different aspect ratio frames like 1.85 and 2.35 by utilizing the extra pixels of the sensor. That would be awesome.

Owen Dawe
December 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Sounds interesting. But are the rumors from a reliable source, or mere speculation?

Chris Hurd
December 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
The one and only "reliable source" is the manufacturer itself. So yes, this is all just mere speculation and it's
important to understand that's all it ever can be until an official press release is issued -- whenever that is.

Emmanuel Plakiotis
December 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have to agree with Chris. After a bit of search, I found the same rumor on a post in Gizmondo dated beginning of March. IMO the only certain feature of the new camcorder will be the large sensor.

Jonathan Shaw
December 12th, 2009, 12:59 AM
And hopefully there will also be PAL frames rates so we can all have the whole spectrum

24, 25, 30, 50 and 60p... and imagine if you could ramp up frame rates! Then we would be talking.
And how magic would it be if they use the same batteries etc as the H1, A1 and G1 so we don't need to double up.

56 mbps... sounds good too... if someone is making up why pick 56???? God I love rumours ; )

Sorry just dreaming

Chris Hurd
January 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Well, now you know:

Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam at DVInfo.net (http://www.dvinfo.net/features/canon-reveals-their-next-pro-video-cam.html)

That's it for this thread -- direct any replies to this new one (http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/470731-canon-reveals-their-next-pro-video-cam.html#post1471637).