View Full Version : Mic Damage

Greg Donovan
June 20th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I purchased my GL2 used recently, and have been cleaning it up and recenty fixed the remove cassette error thanks to help on these forums, next on my list is the loose microphone.

According to the previous owner, the mic got bumped (was packed too tightly in case perhaps) and now wobbles up and down. I know the mic has a rubber mount that allows some flex for camera sound reduction, but this is worse than that.

I was wondering if it is difficult to remove the mic, or at least to open the handle in order to see if something can be tightened or a screw replaced. Unless it requires complete disassembly of the camera, I'd be open to working on it.

I see on here people ordering replacement parts (ie, zoom rockers) and I was wondering who you call. Is it just the Canon service number? I need a new eyecup.

If anyone knows how to get to the mic on the GL2, please chime in.

Thanks,
Greg

Don Palomaki
June 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM
Call Canon service and you should get an option for parts, at least we do in the USA.

Likely not to be be the same on the GL2, but may give an indication of what is involved. On the GL1 to get to the mic you have to remove:
bottom cover, ~6 screws
left cover unit ~ 6 screws
the U cover (red plastic around the screen pivot), a snap fit
top cover , ~3 screws
handle unit, ~8 screws
handle upper cover, ~9 screws

Note that the screws are various sizes, depending on the location

Greg Donovan
June 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
I was afraid it would be that involved.

Since it's really just a cosmetic issue, I think that I'll leave it be.

Thanks Don.

Greg