View Full Version : Pushing the limits of the HD1000u

Kren Barnes
August 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
For our latest project (14 hour wedding shoot), we tried to push the limits of what this camera can do in terms of its settings, portability amongst other things. With a little help from its little brother the SR1, this is what we came up with ... enjoy !

Elizabeth + Roger on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/5914231)

Noel Lising
August 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Nice work Kren. I assume you are using a Sungun for the reception? Ceremony is available light? Hope you can share a reception footage without MB looks or tweaking.

Bryan Daugherty
August 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Noel - Interesting point. In most "show your work" threads you would rarely see someone comment ..."no MBL or tweaking." I am guessing that is because the thread subject is pushing the limits of the 1000U. This raises two thoughts to me...

1) if the end result (edited piece) is as good as people shooting with other more expensive cams does this validate the 1000u as quality piece of kit.

2) if you are posting edited finished work is the quality in the camera or the editing suite and the skills of the person editing...is the edit hiding the flaws of the camera..

Interesting things to consider. If I am off on my interpretation of your posting please elaborate. Thanks...

Kren- While I am not big into a lot of the styles you used I think this is a high quality example of what you can do with this camera in the right hands. Good work and thanks for sharing.

Noel Lising
August 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Bryan,

That is exactly my point of view, without the tweak, I want to see what the HD1000U is capable of delivering. The outdoor shots are stunning, I want to see what the indoor shot looks like, available light or the use of a sun gun without the "tweak"

Kren Barnes
August 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Hi Bryan,

To me its validated not because i'm biased coz i own one (we are moving to FX1000 next year) for the $2000 we spent, we can produce high quality footages closely resembling that of a $6000 camera. ultimately though, the variable difference (and limitation) is the 1000u only has one CMOS chip which really puts the burden of properly lighting a shoot. But saving $4000, i'll gladly spend some of it on lighting equipment.

@Noel - No sungun for us, we use the high end sony on camera HVL light. Actually we just received our 10 ft Amnova lights which we will use moving forward...the reception shots in the video are pretty much barebones. that was shot in the dark with just the oncamera light. i only adjusted the contrast level from 0 to 5. You can watch the 7th birthday sample in our website..that is plain barebones..only lights and no tweaks whatsoever...

Bryan Daugherty
August 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Kren, i was playing a little devil's advocate on that one. I have always been and will continue to be, one of the most outspoken advocates of the HD1000U because as a user, like you, I have seen what this camera can do.

Adam Gold
August 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I, for one, am really glad to see people discussing what this cam can do rather than what it can't. For a while there all you saw was people bashing the cam for not performing like cams five times its price.

I don't use mine every day but I think for what it does and what it costs, it's one of the best values out there.

Kren Barnes
August 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hahahaha!! i know you were Bryan ! but really, some of the wedding videographers i know, after watching our latest highlight, cannot believe that you can do this with what they call a "cheaply amateur" camera. (they carry the FX1's, Canons XL's)mind you i will not back down comparing our most recent work to their own in terms of the quality of the footage...

cheers,

Chris Harding
August 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Excellent and professional footage.

That comes from someone who turned down HD1000's in favor of Panasonics!!

I don't agree with your classification of "amateur"..the HD1000 LOOKS professional and would have the respect of the client. Take in an HD domestic camcorder and yes, that's amateur, regardless of the outcome!!

Admittedly I was looking hard for rolling shutter issues and spotted maybe two at the most but really, I don't think that anyone would notice them unless they knew what to look for!!

Your pans are clean and there is no evidence of any image breakup that is sometimes associated with CMOS imaging. Slip on an LED video light and the low light issue disappears!!

We sometimes forget that wedding videography is a business and go out and buy a trio of Sony EX3's and then wonder why we didn't make any money last season!!!

A great ad for the Sony and let's face it it's an awful lot of camera for a very small investment!!!!

Chris

Marc S. Brown
August 14th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I too have one of these HVR-1000U's. My last wedding I shot was so grainy I swore I'd never use it again. Seeing your piece really reminds me of the truth of "skill of handler trumping limitations of equipment."

Is there any extras (of any kind) that you add on to your camera to really expand it's capabilities?

Bryan Daugherty
August 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Marc can you post a screen grab? What editor are you using?

Marc S. Brown
August 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM
O.k. - I feel really silly - but I have the screen shot - how do I post it??

I use Final Cut Pro to edit.

Marc S. Brown
August 15th, 2009, 07:45 AM
o.k. - Apparently I can't post attachments yet - I can e-mail a JPEG if you'd like... You'd be welcome to post it if it's beneficial to the group...

Bryan Daugherty
August 16th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Marc - It could be a mute point. I was hoping I might be able to offer you some advice on cleaning it up having battled with noise on this camera before but I edit on PC, so I don't know if my advice would help at all.

In response to your original query. Supplemental lighting (when practical) if you are operating in low light is essential. I also find moving the exposure control to menu one of the touchscreen and controlling it manually is very helpful in preventing the gain noise. A proper portable HD monitor (I like the Ikan V8000HD) is a huge benefit as weel but is not practical when you are run and gunning...

Kren Barnes
August 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Marc..much appreciated..my advice is to know your camera inside out and you'll be surprised at what you can create.. when we first began filming weddings,we've had our setbacks similar to what you experienced but that is partly our fault for not learning how to shoot and edit properly.

Aside from meticulously playing around with the settings and using lights and PC editing tools, we don't really use any extras to expand the capabilities of the HD1000u...although im planning to experiment with 35mm adapters (Brevis) to see if they will help us with the camera in terms of DOF shots and such...

regards,

Jonathan W. Hickman
September 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I was going to sell this camera because I've also got an FX1000, but I started a project and started using both cameras and really got into this camera.

I've got the CF recorder too. And the two shoes makes the rigging of the cam easy.

Here's a website showing video I shot with the camera: 2OldBags Wins Prestigious Award! (http://my2oldbags.com/Video.html)

Guys, I cut this on site in Imovie HD (I just thought it would work) along with a few Gee Three plugins. The flexibility of the camera is great. I'm using a MKE 300 shotgun on this shoot but have used my G2 wireless too.

That's my girlfriend, Maggie, in some of the videos.

None of the footage has been color corrected. I use some manual settings.

Finally, this camera does a good job and the shoulder mount (once you get used to it) is fine. It makes you look like a pro, but the quality is nothing like my FX1000. I use the FX1000 for all my paying gigs these days. But the HD1000U is a great camera. I also own a HC9, which is built a little sturdier but has no real usable ring. Plus, on some shoots, the HD1000U would make a better impression on the client.

Let me know what you guys think of the video. I'm using the camera next weekend for my girlfriend as she travels to the Atlanta Hotoberfest to sell her awesome handbags. Contact her if you guys need a bag for your wife or girlfriends and tell her I sent you. And ladies reading, these bags are the coolest!

Jonathan W. Hickman
September 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Kren, I noticed that you're thinking of trying a 35 lens adapter with the camera. I wouldn't recommend it. I rigged it with my Letus one time for an interview and I had to break out my entire light package for a 15 minute shoot. It was very light hungry.

Also, the cinematic mode on the camera is very cool, but it requires a little more light.

I've not used that setting on my recent shoots with the camera and opted to just fix anything in post.

Adam Haro
April 8th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Great Highlight. Not sure what software your editing on but I am curious what the transitions are that you use just after the 2min. mark?

Thanks
Adam

Kren Barnes
April 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks Adam
We edit with Premiere Pro CS3 ..the effect is called Art Beat Film Clutter

Cheers!