View Full Version : Action Figure 360

Cory Moorehead
April 12th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Hey. Im going to be filming some 360 degree videos of some action figure and need some help. What should I use to rotate thefigure nice and smooth all the way around without it stoping at all ? Im using a Canon GL2. The picture seems "blah" and its hard to see details and its a bit dark. I have plenty of light in the room to.Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Cory

Nicholi Brossia
April 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I would try an old record player. Just set it to 33rpm. If you need it to go slower, just put some resistance on the turntable with your finger, then it will slow down.

John Britt
April 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Do you want the figure to rotate in the frame, or the camera to rotate around the figure?

If you want the figure to rotate, how about an LP turntable? Tape or rubber-cement his feet to the center of the record player and turn it on. If you need it slower, you could just give it a light spin with your hand instead of turning the player on.

Or find a lazy susan-type rotating serving dish from you local discount store (K-mart, etc).

Unless you need the background to rotate as well (having the camera rotate around the figure). Then I'm not so sure... Maybe some model train tracks laid in a circle? Put the cam on top of a model train (or create a platform with model train-sized wheels) and push the camera around the tracks?

(EDIT: Once again beaten to the punch while replying. D*mn my hunt-n-peck typing skills!)

Rob Lohman
April 13th, 2004, 01:52 PM
If you want to rotate around it you could get something similar
to a turntable but a bit larger and put your camera on it. Then
put the figure in the middle suspended by a couple of fishing
rope (?) which you shouldn't be able to see.

Otherwise you will need something with a circular track indeed...

Josh Brusin
April 13th, 2004, 01:55 PM
If you're final is interactive do still photos... I did something similar where you could switch out the limbs and heads/torsos in shockwave about 6 years ago dubbed the "star wars action figure maker" selling any old toys? email me...
Josh

Ron Johnson
April 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM
somewhat off-topic...

In a British mystery TV show, I saw an effect where the camera rotated with the principle subject (background was moving, foreground was stationary) - very dis-orienting effect - looks fun to try.

RJ