View Full Version : Reddish ghosting

Paul Grove
April 25th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Hi - used the first of the good weather to go out and try my new XM2 - very impressed with the results! I was shooting with the WD58 wide-angle lens in fully automatic mode (decided to stick to basics first!).

I was filming a field hockey match featuring players in red and yellow shirts playing on a dark green astropitch. I noticed that there was a definate reddish halo bleeding from the red shirts and orange ball.

The weather was very bright.

This was the only time I noticed this effect - all other shots seemed okay.

Suggestions?

Paul.

Alan McCormick
April 25th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Paul,

You will be pleased with your new aquisition, good luck with your filming.

As for the red halos I do not have an answer other than try similar shots in Manual mode. I know you said you wanted "to stick to the basics first" but to be honest you are kidding yourself. Get out and about and use manual exposure settings now otherwise you will rely too heavily on the Auto.

I got my XM2 last October, went into manual from day 1 as I wanted to learn the hard way. Brand new to all the jargon etc but I stuck to it and to this Forum, I can pick up my Cam now, shoot in Manual straight away and get a very decent video always.

OT

See you are in West Sussex, have you thought about joining the IoV (Institute of Videography)? You can network with professionals and learn very quickly, I did so through speaking to Graham Bernard (grazie) on this very forum and have not looked back. My next gig is a wedding at Leeds Castle (Kent) with another IoV member.