View Full Version : no power in record mode

Lorraine Butler
May 1st, 2004, 09:37 AM
i've got to send this back to canon - but was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this.

whilst recording, my 3 week old xm2 just powered itself off and won't come back on in camera mode. works just fine in vcr mode, power light on, plays fine - but then switch to camera and no power light - no power - nada.

i read on another thread that the gl2/xm2 has 3 fuses, does anyone think that the one for this part of the camera could have blown?

i was filming a live event and this has kinda ruined my life today (perhaps i'm just after some sympathy...)

Alan McCormick
May 1st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Lorraine,

Very nasty indeed, OUCH!!

I have never heard of anyone getting this problem, just typical to happen on a Bank Holiday w/e too.

You have my sympathy, reckon I would need more than that if it was me.

Keep us informed and hope you get it sorted, SOON!

Lorraine Butler
May 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM
just need shoulders to cry on! can't do much about it till tuesday as you say (great timing) - will post if i find out what the problem is, though if anyone has cunning stategies for breaking bad news to clients - i'd love to hear them!

beer is now required.............

Alan McCormick
May 1st, 2004, 02:35 PM
I think it is called "insurance"

Lorraine Butler
May 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
of course, (who'd work without it) but the issue isn't always with covering your own ass, i've had an emotional day and was just deeply gutted that i didn't get what i needed (one off event May Day miners march 20th anniversary) and expect others will be too... but such is life, i've managed to escape any such disasters over the last 10 years - i guess my time has come!

Ken Tanaka
May 1st, 2004, 05:25 PM
A year ago we had a long, long running thread of people relating their most embarrassing video catastrophes. You might find solace in browsing it, Lorraine. (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10683)

Dave Croft
May 1st, 2004, 06:13 PM
Hi Lorraine, sorry to hear about your messed up filming.

I'm planning on getting an XM2 but am slightly worried about the problems this cam seems to get e.g tape won't rewind, zoom breaks etc.

Anyway, I live in West Yorks so pretty close to you, small world.

Good luck for future filming,
Dave.

Ken Tanaka
May 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
Dave,
You are always at some mechanical / electrical failure risk with cameras (and just about everything else, for that matter). It is, however, worth keeping in mind that forums like this tend to hear about troubles. It's also worth noting that (Lorraine aside) the GL2 tends to be purchased by non-professionals due to its relatively modest price. Consequently, its handling can be ...err... rough. For example, it's particularly popular with folks shooting extreme sports and night club scenes.

I am told by those in the camera repair/service business that the GL2/XM2 actually has a very good reliability record. But, the bottom line is that it's a relatively modestly-priced camera and does not feature the same build quality that a much more expensive camera might feature.

I am not being an apologist for the camera, just relating what I've observed with my own GL2 and what I've seen after a very long time on these boards. I would recommend that if the XM2 is the right camera for your needs, go forth in confidence. It's an excellent value for the money.

Lorraine Butler
May 2nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
dave - hail fellow yorkshire dweller - i'd used an xm2 owned by a company for many shoots with excellent results, which is why i chose one for myself - i love this camera, guess i've just being unlucky with this purchase , i would still recommend the xm2 over other pro-sumer cams, particulary for picture quality

Dave Croft
May 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks Ken and Lorraine for the assurance regarding the reliability of the GL2/XM2. Ken you are right, I had read about the problems I mentioned about the cam on this board, I guess with any piece of kit - if you treat it right it shouldn't break ;)

Thanks again,
Dave.

Terry Reed
June 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Was there ever a final diagnosis of this problem? I've just had the exact same thing happen moments before a scheduled event began. GL2 is "dead" in record mode - all is fine in playback mode.

Lorraine Butler
June 2nd, 2004, 06:49 AM
forgot to post up on this - cam got all fixed, the standby/lock switch had stuck or broke - so when turned back to standby it stayed in locked mode - which allows playback but not record mode.

i am in the habit of accidentally catching this switch sometimes while filming - first thing to check if cam powers off - so it's probably me that damaged it while knocking it at some point - doesn't seem to be a common problem - hope this helps

Ken Tanaka
June 2nd, 2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks very much for following-up on this episode, Lorraine. It's very useful to hear the last chapter in such stories, as we so often do not.