View Full Version : New GL2 has VX2000 features

madeline
June 28th, 2002, 03:31 PM
The new GL2 spec sheet is like reading that of the VX2000. (The one thing it has over the Sony seems to be the 30fps progressive scan mode -- anyone know if that really works as advertised on the XL1S/GL1?).

http://www.canondv.com/gl2/index.html

Chris Hurd
June 28th, 2002, 06:36 PM
It is Frame Movie mode, not Progressive Scan, but it gives the same results as Progressive Scan. And yes, it works great on the XL1, XL1S, GL1 and GL2. Hope this helps,

madeline
June 30th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Hi Chris -- I noticed you moved this message -- sorry for the confusion, as a VX2000 owner I was attempting to convey the tone of "hey, canon finally caught up to the sony" -- hence the placement in the VX2000 forum ;-)

Chris Hurd
June 30th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks Madeline, I didn't realize you're a VX2000 owner, but I prefer to keep the topics pigeon-holed like this... if the subject is really the GL2, then it belongs in here. The VX2000/PD150 forum should be used for discussing only those, or other Sony cameras. Thanks,

Bryan Beasleigh
June 30th, 2002, 10:25 PM
The hulabaloo from both sides of the camera cult is bothering me bigtime. This camera doesn't have VX2K features it has Canon GL2 features. This is a well thought out cam that's been evolved to the next stage in what I consider a smart and cost efficient move by Canon. They have trumped the TRV950 and PD10x and created a new plateau.

If size and the ability to blend is required it will be the 950. For every bell and whistle and a dynamite long zoom lens it's the GL2. For low light it's the VX2K, for ergonomics and lens versitility it's the XL1S. Of course many will buy based on the look of the footage or just plain brand loyalty. (price could be playing a part here depending on how sony and canon play this one out)

The camera cult comment is not meant to describe this forum or thread but only for the few owners (and some who don't even own cams but do nothing but read spec books and argue)who get silly and take brand loyalty to extremes.

I own 2 sony's but I came very close to buying a XL1S very few weeks ago. It was a hard decision because both brands make excellant cameras. Anyone who says otherwise is unfairly biased.

I think it was Chris who said something to effect that "regardless of which cam he uses he misses some features on the other".

Chris Hurd
July 1st, 2002, 03:11 PM
Thank you Bryan,

Actually I did not say that but I wish I had.

The primary impetus behind starting these forums has been a strong desire to offer an alternative to the "camera cult" mentality that pervades elsewhere on the net, in newsgroups especially and on some other message boards. Some people wave brand loyalty like a big banner to the point where it becomes common practice to belittle the other brand. They're not welcome here, though. I started this thing to get away from those people.

For new camera buyers, some folks need a Sony and some need a Canon. Some need something else completely. To say one is somehow "better" than the other is like saying almond pistachio ice cream is "better" than butter brickle. It is, has been, and always will be a Ford vs. Chevy or a Fender vs. Gibson debate. The *truth* is that they're all great brands. The *question* is which one is right for you?

As a safeguard I decided to lump all the PD150/VX2000 stuff into its own little room, all the Canon GL2 stuff into another, etc. and those areas are probably better suited for actual users and pre-sales questions from people leaning toward each particular camera. Then it's a question of what do you do for folks wanting help on choosing a brand without engaging a platform war among each brand advocate, and that's a trick.

A lot of people peg me for a Canon advocate and I am. What they don't realize is that I'm a Sony advocate also. Out in my driveway I have a Chrysler product *and* a Ford product. My favorite band in the world, Midnight Oil, plays both Fender *and* Gibson guitars. And Gretsch, and Guild, and Rickenbacker. We live in a colorful world.

The one that feels best in your hands, the one which makes the most pleasing picture to your eye, that's the right camera for you.

madeline
July 1st, 2002, 05:33 PM
Wow, obviously I hit a nerve, if not the whole spinal cord. Blame it on someone new to the forum and the camera wars you referenced. My comment was intended as light and playful, not xenophobic. Perhaps that's an error also, as playfulness is not very helpful to others. Other than that one comment I've tried to contribute meaningfully. Sorry for the fuss. Adieu....

Chris Hurd
July 1st, 2002, 07:31 PM
It's no fuss, Madeline; we're just making sure it doesn't become one. The issue at hand is that this subject is taken very seriously for a couple of reasons.

First, it's serious because of the money at stake... these inexpensive 3-chip camcorders have opened up the possibilities of quality video production to an entire market of customers previously unable to afford the usual $40,000-plus investment in broacast-quality video equipment. To this group of folks, though, $3,000 to $4,000 represents a lot of money (I'm certainly one of them) and they generally want to make the right decision the first time out of the gate and buy the camera that's right for them. Spending this amount of money is a very serious decision, almost akin to buying a car, and forums like this one provide a very useful tool in the research process. Therefore I tend to regard these online discussions rather seriously and monitor them most closely, and with the generous help of a few highly trusted other moderators, we work to establish a safe discussion environment which has a high signal-to-noise ratio. We want to provide high signal and very low noise for the benefit of those who are using the boards to help determine how to best spend their money.

Second, as Bryan Beasleigh correctly points out, so-called "camera wars" have unfortunately pervaded numerous other online forums, lowering their value, especially on usenet. That hasn't happened here, thankfully, because we're constantly watching out for it. You have done absolutely nothing wrong; all that's happening at this moment is that we're steering the discussion away from a potential platform-war outburst and instead using it as an opportunity to explain how things work in this particular community environment. And I thank you for providing us with that opportunity! Cheers,

Don Donatello
July 1st, 2002, 09:56 PM
i like all these different models .. they all have different "looks"(the recorded image) - they all feel different to operate ... what one doesn't like on this model will be different on another model .... when you buy a camera you are buying the BEST for you (your needs , budget, preference) ... i welcome ALL new models = more choices !!!

Jeff Donald
July 2nd, 2002, 05:42 AM
I think people need to be less brand conscious and more needs, features, benefits oriented. People need to be more Zen like in purchasing cameras. Pick it up, feel it, are the controls comfortable? Kinda like a car, sit in it, kick the tires. If all goes well your going to be spending hours behind the camera. It should fit well. the camera should fit your shooting style, not forcing your style and methods to fit your camera. If there is something you really don't like about the camera, run, don't walk away from it. If you take reasonable care of your camera it can last for years. Do you want to be stuck with a camera you hate for years?

Jeff

Michael Westphal
July 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
As much as I would like to be Zen like in my search for a new camera, I can't be. There is only one camera dealer in Baton Rouge that carries 3-CCD cameras (Canon only) and that makes it difficult to test and evaluate. Soooo, I have to rely on sites like this to help me evaluate a camera past the specs from the manufacturer.
As Chris says, $3000 is a lot to spend. Gotta be sure that something is going to work for me -- so I have to draw from years of experience with 1CCD cams (starting with the Sony HVC-2xxx BetaCam) and use input from knowlegeable folks I find online and in my town. "Platform" wars don't help, but they do serve to show an online person's personality, and give me some method to evaluate their perspective and ultimately how I can judge their advice. This probably isn't the right thread to discuss this any further, but thanks for the opportunity to learn from your experience.
(I think I want/can afford a GL2 or a VX2000 - thus the attraction to this thread.)
Michael

Michael Rosenberger
July 2nd, 2002, 11:11 PM
Hey,

If you are comparing cameras, I really think we need to hear from Neum...Rue...just kidding Chris.

You brought up the good ol' usenet days and it took me back to the ENDLESS threads of bickering. And of course the 'infamous' camera review page. Jeez, how many times was that posted?

I get to be a zealot at times about my Canon equipment, but as more of a recommendation thing than saying there is no other camera that works. I almost always try to include something about WHY the camera works for my situation, which is what I think everyone is getting at. The whole best tool for the job. Oh yeah, and price too.

OT - For fun, here is a picture my other cameraman thought was just crying funny. He called it "working hard". What do you expect? It is covering fishing on a dang boat. It isn't like the action is going to move around much. And there wasn't a cushin, so it did get uncomfortable. Had to keep switchin' cheeks. Okay, too much information.

http://www.azuho.com/graphics/mike_working.jpg

Anyway, after you read this you can delete it. We shall not speaketh his name. He might hear...

And Lord knows this is just late night rambling with no real informational value. Thanks everyone for enduring.
:)