View Full Version : Quickstream DV Availability

David Way
May 6th, 2004, 06:55 AM
It seems from some of the discussion threads some folks have their Quickstream DV's in hand. I placed an order on Feb. 5 with MacMall and it still comes up backordered. Does anybody know what's going on at MCE Tech? I've called them several times and one call yielded the comment they were having "chip problems."

I'm really excited about this new device, but getting more and more frustrated waiting for it.

On another note, those who have been using it, does it sync well with the camera's record button, or must you press the on-board Quickstream record button to begin recordings?

Dan Euritt
May 10th, 2004, 09:26 PM
i placed an order with mce directly from their website the other day.

i called 'em up first, and was told that there was still a three to four week delay.

i believe that the quickstream will start recording when the tape starts recording... but it won't record from the camera record button unless there is simultaneous recording to a tape in the xl1s... that was a big disappointment.

Ken Tanaka
May 10th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I've not yet used a Quickstream recorder, so take my comments with a grain of skepticism. I base my remarks on my use of the Firestore FS-3 (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article88.php).

The issue you describe (i.e. Quickstream will not respond to the camea's record button without a tape) is unrelated to the Quickstream. The fact is that the camera will not send a "record" signal down the Firewire cable unless there's a tape loaded. That's also true of the much more expensive and sophisticated FS-3. The FS-3 has a "local" recording mode that allows initiation of recording independently of the camera's tape status.

Dan Euritt
May 14th, 2004, 09:03 PM
thanks ken! i wonder if there is an easy way to fake the camera into thinking that it has a tape in it... the recording drum would still be spinning, but there just wouldn't be any tape passing by.

Josh Brusin
May 14th, 2004, 09:11 PM
i used to use a cassette tape and rip out the tape to get the recorder to record... uh wow I have a monster head-cold and hope I'm still making sense...